Todays Project - What did you do today?
lot of hammer handles hiding in that log
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Greg did you count the rings? Just curious.

Here's a little liquor cabinet I made from ash. I stained it trying to get a "Mission Oak" look, I think I succeeded.

The upper right hand corner of the left hand door has opened up a bit due to the wild swings of humidity here from winter heating to summer rains. I'll have to see if I can inject some glue and draw it back together with a pipe clamp.
Gee, sorry guys, I must have renamed it and thought I was done. Or maybe Greg is right I think I opened the doors and while contemplating an open door pic I might have tried to reduce the "clutter" inside.Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(09-26-2012, 04:09 PM)stevec Wrote: Greg did you count the rings? Just curious.

Here's a little liquor cabinet I made from ash. I stained it trying to get a "Mission Oak" look, I think I succeeded.

Sorry Steve,
I can't see the picture, can anyone else see it?
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
I can't see a picture either. I think Steve might have had emptied the cabinet prior to posting his message. Big Grin

I'd like to see that cabinet. Oak is one of my most favorite woods, and especially Mission Stained oak. Drool

Ed
Thanks given by:
Either that or he polished that stain so well that he's polished it away completelySmiley-eatdrink004

Sorry Steve, it looks like you might not have posted photo, but I for one would really like to see it,

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Steve, of course I had to count the rings, 87 years old. He emptied the cabinet, only explanation for the picture. For some reason my phone isn't uploading my pictures so no daylight shots. Was the full of the tractor to lift the butt log. Looks like the bottom two logs are veneer grade. The four logs scaled out at 750 board feet. Still shingling the walls of the drying shed, get that done and we'll try sawing these babies.
Got the phone working.
Here's a shot with Saddie for perspective.
[Image: IMG_0224.jpg]

These are the top ends of the logs, smallest measured 20 inches. Still have to get the logs from above the crotch.

[Image: IMG_0225.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Look at those twigs Jawdrop Jawdrop
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Those are some nice, solid logs. They'll make some gorgeous lumber.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I would have thought Ash was far slower growing than that, 87 years isn't really that long to grow a tree of that size. Of the logs we see in that last shot, 7 of them at 8 feet long, that's 56 feet of "Log" so how tall was the whole thing? it must have been 75 feet plus?

Rick
Thanks given by:
Guys, I've edited the post and the pic is there now as well as a little 'splanashun.
Greg, 87 years, thanks . I think the first Oak I took off our front lawn here in NS was 96 years, made me wonder what I'd done!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: