Todays Project - What did you do today?
wood is good I'm just not much of a finish carpenterSadno, but shelves in the shop! I'm on it!!Smiley-dancenana

I always like to see the talents that others have, Nice liquor cabinet!! Steve.DroolSmiley-signs107

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-27-2012, 04:39 PM)stevec Wrote: John, I love it!Rotfl

It is a bit over engineered
But when you bump in to it getting out of the shower it will win Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
John
Thanks given by:
By request, it has a metal element, they're full of rebar and wire mesh and I did build the grinder.

[Image: IMG_1430.jpg]

I used marble chips from a nearby mine for the aggregate in the surface coat. Its white portland dyed black. The core is regular portland with gravel and fiberglass chop with water reducer to minimize shrinkage and the resulting cracks.

[Image: IMGP0547.jpg]
Built this for the rough grind. Used a 7 inch diamond grinding wheel, takes all that 2 hp motor will do to spin it.

[Image: IMGP0554.JPG]

The piece on the right is ground, from there I used a wet polisher with diamond pads, started at 80 grit and went to 3000.

[Image: IMGP0661.jpg]

And the finished product, sealed then polished with with Carnuba wax. Needs a coat of wax every year or two.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Unbelievable! WorthyWorthyWorthy
Thanks given by:
What a heck of a project!!

Is that your'e steel rack in the background in the first pic?
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks, not as big a project as it looks, hardest part was getting them into the kitchen.
Yes on the rack, am thinking of getting rid of it, can't afford to keep it full, would be nice to have the extra width in the bay.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ok, yeah i hear ya on the steel prices, whoo! getting pricey!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice job Greg. How did you derive the formula for using different mixes for the core vs. the finish coat? Trial and error or experience? It is amazing how much concrete weighs. My cast fireplace face ended up weighing nearly 600 pounds and I had to do some serious calculations to make sure the floor would hold it.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom, the core is a regular cement mix, one part portland and 5 parts gravel, the top layer is just portland for a binder and whatever decorative stone. Made one before using stucco stone.
Greg
Thanks given by:
That is absolutely gorgeous Greg!! Worthy
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by: