Todays Project - What did you do today?
Greg,

Is that cast iron that you had to weld the patch to?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Looks like a cast aluminum housing to me. If not, I want to know how he got the steel so shiny on a part that rides on the undercarriage of a vehicle!
Thanks given by:
(10-29-2012, 06:23 AM)PixMan Wrote: Looks like a cast aluminum housing to me. If not, I want to know how he got the steel so shiny on a part that rides on the undercarriage of a vehicle!

Small diameter wheels and heavy sand! After all, it is off a "side by side off road thingy". However, I too suspect that is cast ali.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
As far as wet rods go, I don't mean to be contrary, but in my experience it is much ado about nothing, Except for when the rods have developed rust on the connection end or white fluffy corrosion of the flux I simply add about ten amps and let them dry them selves out in use, once you have acheived a certain level of experience this is easy enough to do. If they have been wet enough to rust no amount of drying will fix them as the rust under the flux can never be dried away and will cause oxidisation of the molten weld pool (fine porosity) and the white fluffy flux corrosion is actually where certain compounds have been removed by the action of water, this changes the chemical composition of the flux and as a result you will be left with inconsistent weld metal chemistry, potentially serious hydrogen embrittlement, so I don't take that risk either, and no amount of drying will put those chemicals back.

An exercise that we used to use when training " plant welders" was to break all of the flux off of a rod and t practice striking an arc with bare wire, once you become competent welding without flux soldiering through with wet rods is easy enough. Incidentally welding without flux is a really bad idea, do it only to practice unstable arc control, as the resulting weld will be porous, hydrogen rich and nasty to look at.

Given that the new packet of rods were " wet " as well I'm guessing that maybe wet rods was not the original issue. Possibly unstable arc or just under powered and the ever present issue of dirty parent metal or dodgy current return cable.

Regards. Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Die cast aluminum I guess. Was sure surprised how consistent it welded.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: EdK
Started a little fix for my BIL's sound equipment. A little high precision microphone that screws onto a sound cable got stepped on or somthing and became slightly oval making it recalcitrant to threading onto the cable. I decided to make a little clamp that I bored to exactly the un-ovaled dia. on the other end. so this pic shows the clamp on the Microphone. I've asked him to bring me the cable end so we can see if it threads on.

Oh yeah, the background is 4 cylinder liners with pistons destined for a "rebuild with available parts" for a back up tractor engine.

Once I have the male threaded fitting and determine that it now threads easily 'll release the clamp and see if it still threads on.I figured it might spring back close to the
"ovaled" shape
If it does I plan to insert some shim stock and reclamp in an "overcompensation" mode and try again.

Oh, my BIL is a proffessional sound sound technician but I never listen to him.Rotfl

Then I welded up some of the parts I've made for my new wood splitter.

I might have made the crosspiece/reservoir longer, out over the wheels to have more oil capacity but that was the material available.

Last week I brought home a piece of 6-15 H beam for the new
"backbone" of the splitter. Apparently 6-15 means 6" across the flats and 15 lbs. per foot.
90lbs X 6 feet in the back of the CR-V fit well diagonally.
More to follow on the splitter which will have a log lifter and a hydraulic "cross" wedge that can be adjusted hydraulically to split in 4 pieces as per the log dia. or dropped right down to just split smaller logs just in half.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Actually, this is a project I did on Sunday 10-28-2012. It's special mount for putting a Garmin GPS (SAT/NAV) unit onto a Triumph Tiger 800. I had made one for my own bike a couple months ago, and another owner saw it and wanted one made at 1/2" shorter than mine. It took me about 3-1/2 hours from start to finish (including a thorough clean-up.)

I forgot to take photos of making the clamp block and turning it, sorry about that. Who says I don't use any HSS tools?! The radius tool is a deep=grooving tool I got in a pile of HSS form tools, but I turned it sideways. I guesss I was just lucky that whoever made it put a near-perfect 25mm radius in it. :) I had to do it this way because I don't have a ball turning attachment for the lathe and haven't had time to make one.

[Image: IMG_1688-r.jpg][Image: IMG_1691-r.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1692-r.jpg][Image: IMG_1694-r.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1696-r.jpg][Image: IMG_1697.jpg]

That picture of the tap is where I held the tap in a drill chuck and power-tapped the M6x1.0 thread at 325rpm.
Thanks given by:
Made one last trip back to my deceased friends garage and bought a Rockwell #23-501 tool grinder from the family. It is basicly all there, but missing a couple of parts, it came with the Rockwell cast iron floor stand and Rockwell light.
Did find one new Baldor stone for it, and also bought a nice steel cupboard with a few shelves to fasten on the wall.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(10-31-2012, 04:37 PM)PixMan Wrote: Who says I don't use any HSS tools?!

Rotfl Rotfl

High Speed Harold would be proud of you Ken. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
You've been busy Steve.
Still no pics Sasquatch we still no believe.
Spent another day purging the shop try to make room for a car hoist. Amazing the junk we collect. When I call it junk it really is.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: