Todays Project - What did you do today?
(10-31-2012, 04:37 PM)PixMan Wrote: Actually, this is a project I did on Sunday 10-28-2012. It's special mount for putting a Garmin GPS (SAT/NAV) unit onto a Triumph Tiger 800. I had made one for my own bike a couple months ago, and another owner saw it and wanted one made at 1/2" shorter than mine.

Wow Ken, awesome job!! The finish photo's of it mounted on your bike looks like it was factory installed. Nice work!

Best Regards,
Russ
Thanks given by:
Spent the day again with my son, we're capping all the windows , trim etc in his garage we remodeled and jacked up to get a 14ft ceiling to clear his car hoist.
Got it all painted two coats also, stove is hooked up, nice and warm working in there.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Mmmmmm ! car hoist. I remember mine fondly!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Today i took the missus out for breakfast, (to gain some more points, i was getting too low!,)i then started cleaning, sanding and painting the parts and base out of my Porter cable 7inch shaper i bought last week.
Got the parts hanging on wires to dry above the woodstove, then after reassembling that i get to start on the head.
Thanks given by:
Today was the first of a week of "work at home" days. I've been designing a fixture at work to laser weld a couple of plastic parts together for a future product and I finally got to start building it. Unfortunately, my mill let me down. Just after lunch the head started making noise and eventually the spindle locked up. After tearing it apart, I was pleased to find that the pivot bolt for the brake mechanism had loosened up and worked its way against one of the variable speed pulley sheaves. It would have been an easy fix, but in trying to get the spindle cranked back to low speed so I could remove the motor, without being able to turn it, I managed to re-break an old repair on the lever that shifts the variable speed pulley sheave. RantRantRant

So after five hours of effort, I have the brake mechanism re-assembled and the broken lever brazed. If I had more time I would fabricate a new lever out of steel since it's a bit under engineered and will likely break again. Anyway, I'll get an early start in the morning and put the head back together so I can get back to work. Seriously, if I didn't know better I'd swear it was Monday. 17428

Hopefully tomorrow will go better.

Tom

[Image: 001_3.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
That's a bummer Tom, but i found your'e pic interesting.
Thanks given by:
I finished up the angled wiper plates for Kaoma.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Nicely done Ed, did you saw or mill them, what did you decide to use for wipers?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2012, 09:56 AM)f350ca Wrote: Nicely done Ed, did you saw or mill them, what did you decide to use for wipers?

Thanks Greg.

I milled them. They were kind of a pain in the butt to mill because of the short flat at the apex of the 'V'. These are actually for another member, Kaoma. He's going to use the wipers that came with the lathe that had no plates, just screws holding the semi-rigid plastic wipers in place. The plate in the upper right of the picture is sitting on one of the wipers.

I'm making extras for my lathe since we have the same lathe. I bought some neoprene rubber in two different durometers, 50 & 60, that I'm going to try.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Missed the wiper in the picture. i remember the discussion.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: