Todays Project - What did you do today?
(12-24-2012, 10:43 AM)TomG Wrote: The LED and driver came from eBay. It's 100 watts and supposedly puts out 8000-9000 lumens, about the same as a 500 watt halogen. At $60 for the set, the payback will be less than six months.

Tom

Wow! That's a whole lot of lumens. I should look at something like that for my mill, not that many lumens though. I desperately need to get some lighting on my mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2012, 10:47 AM)stevec Wrote: Tom, is the color output similar to incandescent or fluorescent bulbs?

This one is "warm white" and is a dead ringer for the halogen it's replacing. I, and more importantly my wife, was very pleased with the color.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2012, 10:48 AM)EdK Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 10:43 AM)TomG Wrote: The LED and driver came from eBay. It's 100 watts and supposedly puts out 8000-9000 lumens, about the same as a 500 watt halogen. At $60 for the set, the payback will be less than six months.

Tom

Wow! That's a whole lot of lumens. I should look at something like that for my mill, not that many lumens though. I desperately need to get some lighting on my mill.

Ed

Yeah, it's astonishingly bright, way too bright to even glance at.

They are available in 10W, 20W, 50W, 100W and 200W sizes. I'm also considering replacing all of the can lights in the ceiling with 50 watters.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Those LED lights are cool, I just purchased two from IKEA that were designed as desk lamps with flexible necks, shortened the stems and mounted them on my vertical mill. Now I have great illumination to see what the cutter is doing and bulbs with 20,000 hours of life for only $29.00 each. Nice thing with the flexible necks I can move the light anywhere on the mill to light it up.
ml_woy, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2012, 10:50 AM)TomG Wrote: This one is "warm white" and is a dead ringer for the halogen it's replacing. I, and more importantly my wife, was very pleased with the color. Tom

EXCELLENT! I'll be looking into this!
Thanks Tom.
Merry Christmas to all,
Steve
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2012, 02:53 PM)stevec Wrote:
(12-24-2012, 10:50 AM)TomG Wrote: This one is "warm white" and is a dead ringer for the halogen it's replacing. I, and more importantly my wife, was very pleased with the color. Tom

Thanks Tom.
Merry Christmas to all,
Steve

Steve,

Here are links to the LED and Driver that I got:

100 watt LED

100 Watt Driver

Tom
Thanks given by:
(12-24-2012, 02:53 PM)stevec Wrote:

Thanks Tom.
Merry Christmas to all,
Steve

Steve:
Here is the information on the light I purchased at IKEA that I adapted tomy mill. Works great!

LED wall/clamp spotlight, nickel plated
$29.99
Article Number: 701.696.94
Flexible arm makes it easy to direct the light. Slim design. Easy to place in small spaces. Read more
ml_woy, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
How is it that most of the stuff sold from China has free shipping when the shipping charges here are more than they want for the product.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Got'r done! One more project off of my long list.

The top and bottom plates are made from some 1/4" aluminum plate they were going to throw out at work. The plates where black anodized and a weird shape so I had to cut around holes and angles to get the rectangular pieces I needed, but the price was right. Happyyes

Thanks Tom for the idea. Thumbsup I'm sure I'll get lots of use out of these.

Ed

Thanks given by:
FINALLY someone made a set!

Keep them handy by the mill Ed, I use mine all the time. Good job, and nice use of recycled material as well.

Tom
Thanks given by: EdK