Todays Project - What did you do today?
Good job Willie. Thumbsup

I'm a little surprised the thread cleaned up with the .007" difference in pitch. How long was it?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
The thread showing on the mill is only about an inch long, although the thread depth in the extension shaft was at least double that.
[Image: th_Knee_shaft.jpg]

Since this is a half-fast operation on an import machine I just "chased" the threads an inch deep with a 20mm tap on the lathe.

Yes, it's a little sloppy on the thread fit but it is good enough to hold the shafts together. All the more reason I wanted to sleeve the extension to take out the clearance between the shafts and provide more support. They get drilled and pinned together anyway, but I'll also throw some Loctite on the threads to fill in any gaps. I don't think it will be going anywhere anytime soon.

The kicker is Enco REFUSED to sell me this same power feed back when I bought the mill, because they said it wouldn't fit. They said the same thing about installing a 3-axis DRO on my machine - "won't fit".

Well guys, guess what? 468

[Image: th_BoltCircleFunction.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Today's fun:

Bored sleeve to slide on original shaft.
[Image: th_Sleeve_bored.jpg]

It fits! Sweat

[Image: th_It_fits.jpg]

Removed bearing housing from knee to drill & tap mounting holes for drive unit. Removed bearing as well for a thorough washing to remove wax/grease/cosmoline concoction and repack with with real grease. Angel
[Image: th_Drill_and_tap.jpg]

Drive unit attached.
[Image: th_Drive_unit_attached.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Looking good Willie, when's the maiden voyage?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Nothing exciting, just put together a buffer i have need at times.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Not sure Tom. I still need to set up the drive gear and pin the shafts together. I also have a new hand wheel for it and need to mill the drive dogs for it on the back of the hub. The original hand crank for the mill has 7 dogs Vs. the 9 dog (Bridgeport) manual drive hub that came with the drive unit.
///Edit: I forgot about mounting the limit switches and rails too! Slaphead///
I hated that crank anyway because it is too long and smacks the Y-axis crank handle all the time. (Along with my knuckles.) The new hand wheel will be well out of the way. Smiley-dancenana

While I'm into it this far, I want to do some work on the tapered gib for the knee too. Might as well fix it now rather than later. I foresee some hand scraping in my near future. Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2013, 09:33 PM)sasquatch Wrote: Nothing exciting, just put together a buffer i have need at times.

Details, man. DETAILS! Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Fine job Willie. Thumbsup

I see Enco has those power feeds on sale now. I'm considering getting one to use as a head lift motor for my RF45 clone. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice work there Willie
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2013, 09:33 PM)sasquatch Wrote: Nothing exciting, just put together a buffer i have need at times.

.gif   worthless.gif (Size: 41.63 KB / Downloads: 108)
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: