Todays Project - What did you do today?
It wasn't today, but I got the shop's attention once by running over an open steady rest on a Pro 60. It's a nice mid sized CNC lathe with pulse generator handles so you kind of get the sense of a manual lathe. I had an 8" OD part in the steady and was sneaking up on the face to qualify the tool, but I didn't realize there was a large boring bar in the back turret (flat bed lathe). Well, it was lined up perfectly with the opened steady, which was laid open about 180 °. Kind of dark in the enclosure, and with the pulse generators, one thing missing is force feedback. Those servomotors are pretty stout, especially when you can't feel a thing when they run up against something. It snapped the casting like a twig, and the top half of the steady hit the pan like a rock. Probably weighed 60 lbs. Fortunately, everyone knew what it was, because I wasn't the first guy to break it. I was just filling in for the regular operator, who was the original wrecker. To the weld shop it went, but it shut the machine down for half a day. And embarrassed me a good bit. But them we all laughed about it.
Thanks given by:
Greg,

How did you make the mortice and tenons?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 01:44 AM)Tony Wells Wrote: It wasn't today, but I got the shop's attention once by running over an open steady rest on a Pro 60. It's a nice mid sized CNC lathe with pulse generator handles so you kind of get the sense of a manual lathe. I had an 8" OD part in the steady and was sneaking up on the face to qualify the tool, but I didn't realize there was a large boring bar in the back turret (flat bed lathe). Well, it was lined up perfectly with the opened steady, which was laid open about 180 °. Kind of dark in the enclosure, and with the pulse generators, one thing missing is force feedback. Those servomotors are pretty stout, especially when you can't feel a thing when they run up against something. It snapped the casting like a twig, and the top half of the steady hit the pan like a rock. Probably weighed 60 lbs. Fortunately, everyone knew what it was, because I wasn't the first guy to break it. I was just filling in for the regular operator, who was the original wrecker. To the weld shop it went, but it shut the machine down for half a day. And embarrassed me a good bit. But them we all laughed about it.

Tony,

That would be embarrassing for sure. Those are the types of lessons one seldom forgets though. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'm surprised that CNC machines don't have some sort of strain gauge type of set up for shutting the machine down automatically. Maybe some do - I don't know... Blush

Quote:To the weld shop it went, but it shut the machine down for half a day.

Funny you should mention that. I just recently watched a video series from Keith Fenner showing how he built a new top for a steady rest that looked like it suffered the same fate.

Which I shouldn't have watched, because now it makes me want to make a set of rollers for mine. Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ed
I have a hollow chisel mortiser that makes short order of the holes, the tenons are cut on the table saw. Will snap a couple of pictures for you.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: EdK
Very nice work Greg, great looking cabinets.

Good inside project for these wintery days.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2013, 12:03 PM)f350ca Wrote: Ed
I have a hollow chisel mortiser that makes short order of the holes, the tenons are cut on the table saw. Will snap a couple of pictures for you.

I used to do it that way. A couple of years ago, I bought a Festool Domino. Haven't looked back! Expensive, but worth every penny.
Thanks given by:
I really appreciate the warm shop in this weather Sasquatch.
This is the mortiser I have now, went through a progression of drill press mounted one to a bench top then this one. The mass and design makes for very repetitive cuts, The drill press one had a clamp that grabbed the quill to hold the chisel, the quill on my drill press was too sloppy and rotated slightly, resulted in wandering holes that didn't line up. The bench top one was a little beter but didn't have the moving table. This one allows you to move the table in and out to center the cut then the hand wheel moves the table back and forth to stops at the end of the mortise.

[Image: IMG_0453.jpg]

The chisel has to be razor sharp, this little diamond stone cuts the inside taper, a little hand stoning on the outside to remove the burr and its good to go. Your supposed to be able to do it in the drill press, but it wobbles all over, I grab the chisel in a collet on the lathe and bring the stone in on the tailstock,

[Image: IMG_0454.jpg]

For the tenons I cut the cheeks to depth against a stop to get them lined up.

[Image: IMG_0455.jpg]

Then this tenoning jig holds them vertical to cut the sides, its very accurate, once set the tenons all fit the same. Too loose and the parts won't line up, too tight and you wipe off all the glue and risk cracking the end of the mortise.

[Image: IMG_0456.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ed
You must have been posting at the same time I was. Thats a pretty cool machine, hadn't seen one before. Would probably be a lot faster than my method. I've seen people use biscuit joiners but they don't have the strength needed.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Very Nice work Greg Smiley-signs107 and love the shop! Drool
Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: