Todays Project - What did you do today?
That's definitely worth a You Suck

Nice job on the lathe cleanup though. That's a nice stout looking lathe. I'm glad I was able to influence someone, in a good way, for once in my life. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
You Suck twice! For sure! Once for your score of STUFF! and now I feel like I'll have to do a shop and machine clean-up! (don't worry I'm on my 2nd home made Old English Bitter and there'll be no more foolishness in the shop today).
Tomorrow all this talk of cleaning will be long forgotten. Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Turned down some shafts for the golf coarse. They weld them up and I cut them down. The ends are internal tread so no easy way to support the far end unless you have a tailstock chuck.

[Image: IMG_0538.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
No matter how many tools you have you never have enough.
Back for a short time on the plasma table. Set up the lathe and made some #2 morse taper blanks, need one to hold the blanks to make pinions and timing belt pulleys (I know I should just buy them but thats metal buying not working). Got the blanks made then put the #7 -#5 cross over in the headstock followed by the #5 - #2 crossover to hold one of the blacks to finish the arbour. Got it cut down then turned to .250 to hold the blanks, went to drill the end for a screw to hold the blank when I realized the crossover to hold the drill chuck in the tailstock was in the headstock.

[Image: IMG_0541.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2013, 07:23 PM)f350ca Wrote: ...Got it cut down then turned to .250 to hold the blanks, went to drill the end for a screw to hold the blank when I realized the crossover to hold the drill chuck in the tailstock was in the headstock.

Rotfl

That sounds like something I'd do.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Yah another one of those where did I put that tool, I know its here somewhere. I'll see if the tailstock rotary chuck will close small enough to hold he tap drill I need. I can hold it from rotating with my hand.
The Colchester lathe was my first choice for this project but that #5 - # 2 crossover has a tang that won't fit in the back of the spindle.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hows this for a drill chuck?
[Image: IMG_0542.jpg]

Holding a #29 drill, about as small as it closes.

Turning a toothed pulley blank on the new mandrel. Will transfer the mandrel to the indexing head latter, to cut the teeth

[Image: IMG_0545.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
That's a small pulley. Happyyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
.744 OD for 12 teeth on an XL timing belt, the mate is 2.272 OD for 36 teeth.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The next step on the plasma table may be attempting to cut the racks. I installed digital readouts on the shaper, but a depth stop on the clapper box would be nice when plunge cutting all those teeth. I had this micrometer barrel, how strong are these? I started making up a mount but wonder if it will be robust enough for a depth stop.

[Image: IMG_0550.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by: