Todays Project - What did you do today?
Still in the cabinet shop. Upper cabinets this time. These ones will have glass doors.

[Image: IMG_0557.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 07:30 PM)EdK Wrote: I'd be interested in that "cylinder head machining story".

Ed
Sadly Ed, I've looked through my photo files and I can't seem to find any of the pics I took of the machining process.
Here's a pic of the need to machine the head.

Notice how "proud" the over stroking has made the pistons at TDC.
I thought of and actually made a 1/8" aluminum spacer.

But I thought it would require 2 head gaskets and that would be too much spacing and I'd have possible leaks as well as lower compression.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: EdK
(04-12-2013, 08:42 PM)EdK Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 08:15 PM)dallen Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 06:28 PM)EdK Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 05:14 PM)dallen Wrote: way back in post 1053 I posted a picture of a sheave that I made and John aka doubleboost asked how I cut the key way, well I decided to also change the one on the motor spindle so when I broached the keyway I just happened to have the camera with me.

so here's a shot of how I broached the keyway. And can anyone tell me the name of that high pressure green lube I have swabbed on the broach, I know it comes in a white plastic jar.

It's probably extreme pressure grease made by this company. I have a tube of it. It's commonly used on dead centers and available from McMaster.

http://www.cmdlubeoil.com/

I would like to see some more details on your broaching tool. I assume you made that?

Thanks,
Ed

me make a broachRotflRotflRotfl, no I bought it, its a standard 3MM broach and bushing from Dumont.

DA

Not the broach. The broaching tool. The blue thing.

Ed

Oh my mistake, thats the horizontal press that I made for working on Russian firearms, I need to add a long syphon tube in the pump so it will work in thee vertical position with the pump head at the top, then I could stand it on end and use it in a more conventional press configuration. But it sure beats the other way that I used to broach keyways.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: EdK
(04-12-2013, 06:53 PM)stevec Wrote:
(04-12-2013, 05:45 AM)Brian Wrote: Hi Steve
Yes you have to stop the mill every time you need to increase the diameter of the cut. in this case I was taking small cuts due to the cut being intermitant ,and the out of balance of the head.

Brian.
The reason I ask is because I no longer have access to the lovely Narex boring I had at work (it had a facing feature!) .
I had to devise my own for a cylinder head machining story I'll explain later to anyone interested.
Long and short is, I built the following device to advance the tool with every revolution.I cut a new feed screw (7/16-20) and fitted a # 25. sprocket.

It worked great! I was able to bore the head to compensate for the "overstroke" I had given the crank.
Then I built a bracket to clamp on the quill of my Tree mill.

On the bracket I added a "tooth" that would advance the sprocket one tooth. I made it so as I could lift it out of the pathof the sprocket and therefore not advance the tool.

Sorry for the jumbled pics and text. My head hurts and I'm now soothing it with another homemade brew.

I like it one on the list to remember
Brian
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
Fixing a wood chipper for a chap. Poor original design. The rotor is keyed to the shaft but not fixed in any way, simply rides between the bearings. It wobbled and wore the hub and shaft. Here I'm boring the disk oversize to get it back to round. Will make a new shaft for a press fit then drill and thread the end of the shaft to clamp the rotor against a shoulder.

[Image: IMG_0561.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Its dead on this site, if people don't soon start posting i'll have to start a thread from the cabinet shop.
Stole away again today to work on that wood chipper.
In my recycle mode I used an old truck axle to make the new shaft. Was hard but turned nicely on the big lathe with carbide. Then came time to cut the keyways, Oops a HSS end mill wouldn't touch it. Didn't have a carbide one small enough, thought about driving an hour into the city to buy one, but what if it won't cut it either. Next thought of remaking the shaft. Then this came to mind. I had a buggered 1/4 inch carbide drill bit. Over to the grinder and made a single lip cutter out of it.

[Image: IMG_0562.jpg]

Cut like a dream. 20 thou passes with coolant and we saved the shaft.

[Image: IMG_0565.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0566.jpg]

Now I need to find a bigger press. Machined the shaft for a 0.0015 interference fit but my little press won't move it all the way.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Nice rescue Greg. Saved yourself a trip into town.

Go ahead and start a thread on your cabinet shop. I'm going to start a thread on April snow storms. Smiley-signs131

Ed
Thanks given by:
Just an idle threat to prompt people to get posting.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hopefully people are just busy and haven't wandered off. I've been in the shop every night this week. It would be nice to see a few more new faces though.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Spent the last two days welding up and installing shelves for my employer's latest van. Nice to get told to stay home and play and still get paid. Thumbsup
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: