Todays Project - What did you do today?
Thanks
Got a deal on the glass, went to the village hardware store monday to get it cut, Barry was busy, told me to cut myself with his machine, used his scrap pieces, so he didn't charge me anything.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, Beautiful work! (as expected). I'm starting to know why you're always doing stuff for folks, it's because you're always "cashing in your brownie points" Rotfl

Any chance of a descr. or pic of Barry's "glass cutting machine"?
just curious,
It reminded me of the first pieces of glass I bought, way back, (for an aquarium).

The clerk at the hardware store took a large sheet (maybe 4' x 4'), set it on edge on the marble cutting table and let go, turning around to get his glass cutter.

I cringed, expecting it to shatter into a million pcs. but it just slowed and floated the last inch, or so, of it's arc on the cushion of air it was pushing.

The clerk explained "I always do that for first time customers, it gets their attention".

It sure got mine.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
That would certainly be an attention getter. The cutter Barry has looks and operates like the panel saws you see at lumber yards for cutting plywood. The glass stands vertically in a trough, the cutter runs up and down on two shafts with linear bearings. There are scales either side of the cutter, slide the sheet to the size you need, a small arm retracts the cutter, bring it to the top, release the arm and bring the cutter down. I needed 50 pieces for the doors and was done in a little over an hour.
Greg
Thanks given by: stevec
Nice job Greg, where did you come up with the design. It looks almost Gothic with the arched look in the doors. I also like the lighting. I have a dozen of those green porcelain reflectors and I'm waiting for the perfect application. We are planning a new cabin up North, so that will likely be where they end up.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Don't remember what inspired the design, I built mine in cherry a few years ago. The people that wanted this set saw mine and liked them so I copied the look.
I've found a couple of those shades too. Its hard to get the bases though. I made a base out of 3 inch ABS pipe and a cap with 3 screws to hold the shade. I think a regular bulb might get it too hot, but a compact florescent works great.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I made a base for one of mine out of PVC to see what it would look like and Used a CFL for a bulb. After my recent experience with LED's though, that would be the way to go. An array like the one I used in my floor lamp directed up toward the reflector would look great and make for nice even lighting.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I just ran across an LED work light, shaped like the 500 watt quartz ones, works great, used it on this last install, plenty of directed light but no worries of burning me or something else, and was only $40. 106 elements in it, forget how many lumens, bright enough that you won't look into it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I got a little more work done on the secret project.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Looks like your secret is still safe Ed
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 12:07 AM)f350ca Wrote: Looks like your secret is still safe Ed

Rotfl
Thanks given by: