Todays Project - What did you do today?
Got away for a few days camping and visiting friends. Needed a break for the yard
Finished two sides to the shop, the initial estimate was 6 million shingles so guess we've put up 3.

[Image: IMG_0717.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Looking good Greg, it's come a long way. Are you going to stain it as well or just leave it natural?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom, yah a big improvement from the 7 year old Tyvek. Would like to stain it but will give it a year to dry out, tested it the other day and the shingles are still at 18% moisture, thought cut that thin the cedar would dry quick. Now the kicker, the granola crunchers have oil based stains band here as of September, so unless I buy ahead I'd have to go latex.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Do yourself a favor and buy ahead. I made the mistake of doing a deck with the latex crap and it started peeling after one year.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Whilst it looks great Greg that is too much work for me to even contemplate. Here the termites would make short work of that, so my workshop is all steel construction.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Excellent Greg, (as usual, ho hum). Regarding the stain, I've created longer lasting stains on the back of my undies than that latex crap will give. Rotfl
Buy ahead!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Would that be "Skidmark" brand? Available in any color you like as long as it's brown. RotflRotflRotfl
Thanks given by:
I'm betting it is just the stubborn stains that are holding them together Jawdrop

On a serious note - How long do those shingles last? Once stained, is there any protective coat applied?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Not sure the stain actually preserves cedar, maybe it does, but I think its more for appearances, they will naturally go a grey or black colour. On roofs they can last upwards of 50 years, on a wall I've no idea but Im sure I'll never need to replace them.
Greg
Thanks given by:
6 million - that's a lot 5176
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: