Todays Project - What did you do today?
(09-06-2013, 01:26 PM)f350ca Wrote: Chinese Junk
Check the fastener to the left.

Pretty cool it has no helix, they rolled rings instead of a thread

Rotfl
Thanks given by:
Tom it was the hardware for a futon a friend bought from Sears, 3 out of the four bolts actually had a thread.
Another interesting point. it wasn't metric, 5/16 coarse.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
worked on this

[Image: idler-and-shaf0001t.jpg]
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I've had a 7/16" bolt for years that was rolled straight. Took a few minutes to figure it out. I found an 8-32 after that one that was the same.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Not a project but something I have used a few times now that I thought I'd share. This is a 60mL syringe for aspirating nasogastric tubes and for parental feeds. I think you can get them at some drug stores.

Fill one up with grease and it makes a great tool for packing bearings. Stick the tip into the bearing (between the balls works best) and squeeze in some grease.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

I've tried using some plastic syringes as needle point (no pun intended) oilers before, only to find out that the plungers refuse to move after coming in contact with petroleum products. 17428

I'm assuming that different types of plastics/rubber are used to make different types of syringes? Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
The rubber plunger does indeed swell and I use a split plastic spool from a roll of thread tape to force the plunger back in (the most difficult part of the job!).

I have some small solvent safe plastic bottles, which accept a standard hypodermic needle for precision oiling. I'll see if I can grab the details for you. The 16g blunt drawing up needles are perfect.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2013, 06:29 PM)dallen Wrote: worked on this

[Image: idler-and-shaf0001t.jpg]

I give up...what is it and what did you do to it or with it?
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 09:00 PM)PixMan Wrote: I give up...what is it and what did you do to it or with it?

Well Pixman its a idler roller that I cast and haven't turned the outside down all nice and shiny but did install bearings and made the shaft that it will spin on and the part that the shaft is thru is the pivot so that I can track the sanding belts.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2013, 06:31 PM)Mayhem Wrote: ...

I have some small solvent safe plastic bottles, which accept a standard hypodermic needle for precision oiling. I'll see if I can grab the details for you. The 16g blunt drawing up needles are perfect.

I also use a bottle with a needle for applying oil. I got mine from McMaster/Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-projecti...es/=of2p36
(Click on "Precision Needle-Tip Squeeze Bottles")

They work real well for applying cutting oil during machining.

Ed

Thanks given by: