Todays Project - What did you do today?
(11-25-2013, 07:47 AM)TomG Wrote: I'll bet it's nice and hot, being that fresh. Thumbsup

Tom

The taste test says HOT but last years batch had my eyes watering steady, would have to step back every so often as I tried to peel it, this year not so bad.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
made this today
[Image: leadscrew-casting-00001.jpg]

replacement for one of the aluminum parts I've made for the shaper, some are going to get replaced with ones made with Cast Iron.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I started building larger guards for a 6 inch grinder to use some 7 inch wheels I was given. Here is a roller I built a few years ago rolling the rings for the guards. I've rolled 5/16 plate the full width of the machine, think its 13 inches wide

[Image: IMG_0883.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, how many passes does it take to roll the 5/16" plate?
No wonder you have arms like the HULK Rotfl.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
The "Hulk" ya right, remember, I'm the skinny one who builds machinery to do the work, thank god for hydraulics.
Can't remember how many passes to bend this, would guess 10 or 12, the limiting factor is the pressure screws, when your turning them down the plate is being bent between the two lower rollers, as your rolling it there seams to be more mechanical advantage, maybe just the length of the crank arm.

[Image: IMGP1255.jpg]

Had to cut the plate into three strips to roll it then weld it back together to form the bucket of this tree spade.

[Image: IMGP1258.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1277.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Erected a 4 metre high lamp post using chemical anchor bolts, dug a trench to it, made off both ends of SWA cable, back filled trench placing bricks over cable and also a length of 'warning electric cables below' tape, gingerly climbed the ladder to place the copper lantern on (good stuff this chemical anchor resin :) ) tested and connected up. Now maybe I won't miss the path and end up in the bushes in the dark!.

Then noticed light bulb was wonky tilting one way - oh yes said wife I noticed that when you were up the ladder - didn't want to bother you Yikes

Got out ladder again and sorted it!

Andrew

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
Finished this up yesterday (the wife went to some relatives, I went to the shop).

[Image: binomount01.JPG]

[Image: binomount02.JPG]

It's an adapter so that my son can mount his new 70mm 500x binoculars to a tripod. Just in time for comet viewing. Cool

I used a block of 6061 aluminum for the main body and "naval" brass for the internal shaft. The brass shaft has a "step" built in to it so that no matter how tightly it is made to the tripod mount, it can't pull through. I turned the shaft on the lathe then bored out the body of the adapter for a tight fit. I used my 12-ton hydraulic press to seat the rod in the body then milled it flush.

I learned a number of "lessons" on this little project. Blush When I have the time I'll write up just what they were.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I started cleaning up the workshop and decided to add some extra "frame work" to my mig welder to make like a little easier. The 3 phase power lead is now coiled at the back to stop it getting caught up with the torch and earth which hang on a hook on the right. It also makes finding my grips, clamps and magnets easier. Now I just have to round some of the stray clamps up. I need to add another clamp bar for vise-grips and a plate on the front for the larger magnets. Six screws and the frame lifts off. the back is open, so changing bottles is easy.

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Finished the new larger guards today. I've been using white aluminum oxide wheels for years, thinking they kept the material being ground cooler, then after watching Tom's sharpening tutorial it dawned on me anything I sharpen in the machine shop is HSS and there's no need to keep it that cool. These wheels stay true and will keep a sharp corner for forming split point drills. The cabinet shop requires the aluminum oxide as most of my chisels and plane irons are high carbon steel which are heat sensitive.
These wheels are Norton marked fine and 60/80 grit, even the 60/80 is pretty fine, had to go back to the rough grinder to form a shaper tool then finish it on this grinder.

[Image: IMG_0887.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Nice tables on that grinder Greg.

Ed
Thanks given by: