Todays Project - What did you do today?
You did mention that Ken but I remember how we ended up scribbling inch measurements all over my drawing when I was last there, so I saw that as an opportunity to tease you a little.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I made a carriage stop the other day and the only thing I had to break the corners with was a small corner rounding bit for my mill and a grinder, on Monday I dropped by the local tool supply and no suprise to me they said it would have to be ordered. So today I made my self one
Not the prettiest, and it still needs to be sharpened, but it will cut the corners off a hunk of steel. video of it in action tomorrow
[Image: my-version.jpg]

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I got some O1 tool steel in the mail the other day and really wanted to see how it turned on my old SB 9" lathe so I made this threading tool. I saw the design on a forum but can't remember which one or when I saw it. I still have to grind a slight helix angle but after that I think it should work well.

[Image: jonz.jpg]

Getting it up to temp with a propane torch took a bit of time but it did work.

[Image: xpz4.jpg]

Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:
It was on Madmodder, Shawn

Andrew
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by: Shawn
(01-09-2014, 04:15 AM)Shawn Wrote: I got some O1 tool steel in the mail the other day and really wanted to see how it turned on my old SB 9" lathe so I made this threading tool. I saw the design on a forum but can't remember which one or when I saw it. I still have to grind a slight helix angle but after that I think it should work well.

Shawn

Shawn,

I would try it as is. That type of tool and thread form has enough clearance that you probably won't need allow for the helix angle, unless maybe you try to cut 4 threads per inch.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
(01-09-2014, 04:15 AM)Shawn Wrote: I got some O1 tool steel in the mail the other day and really wanted to see how it turned on my old SB 9" lathe so I made this threading tool. I saw the design on a forum but can't remember which one or when I saw it. I still have to grind a slight helix angle but after that I think it should work well.

[Image: jonz.jpg]

Getting it up to temp with a propane torch took a bit of time but it did work.

[Image: xpz4.jpg]

Shawn

Shawn get yourself a couple of those white insulating fire bricks, and use them as a back stop to lay the part on, the cutter I made is 1.250 in diameter and I heated it up to hard silver soldering temp with a propane torch,

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
This has been keeping me in the shop and out of the cold for the last 3 or 4 days. Its a JohnDeere stretch side by side, four seater. Apparently its not nearly as tough as the tree it hit. Caught the right A frame and bent the frame sideways far enough to snap the input shaft on the diff. Then the impact went up bending pretty much every member in the front end.

[Image: IMG_0971.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0972.jpg]

Made new front rails and A frame mounts then had to twist cut and bend everything back to fit them.

[Image: IMG_0985.jpg]

Waiting for the owner to get the gear set for the diff, and right strut. Still have to weld the aluminium rack and pinion housing back together and see what can be done with the bush (or should we say grass guard).
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
What, no human body parts to clean off?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2014, 07:52 AM)stevec Wrote: What, no human body parts to clean off?

Apparently was a couple of teens (surprise) that were driving it, no one hurt. I think they actually designed the front to crumple and absorb the impact. The rails I replaced were only .070 wall, we'll get carnage next time with 3/16 wall, was the only wall he could get in 1 1/2 x 3 tubing to match the outside dimensions.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Finished welding , painted, steering box welded (Switched to ceriated tungsten, what a difference) .

[Image: IMG_0989.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by: