Todays Project - What did you do today?
(03-26-2014, 01:33 PM)dallen Wrote: only have three more of these to make, X Axis bearings for a router I'm working on.

open to suggestions on how to do snap ring grooves I need one in each end of the bore to hold the bearing in place.

I am assuming you intend that the snap rings will hold the end of the bearing and not the snap ring grooves the bearing appears to have.
I would grind an L shaped boring bar to cut the internal snap ring groove.

I must be missing something here 'cause it seems too obvious to me.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(03-27-2014, 06:26 AM)stevec Wrote:
(03-26-2014, 01:33 PM)dallen Wrote: only have three more of these to make, X Axis bearings for a router I'm working on.

open to suggestions on how to do snap ring grooves I need one in each end of the bore to hold the bearing in place.

I am assuming you intend that the snap rings will hold the end of the bearing and not the snap ring grooves the bearing appears to have.
I would grind an L shaped boring bar to cut the internal snap ring groove.

I must be missing something here 'cause it seems too obvious to me.

no your not missing anything I just wanted someone else opinion on how to do it. I did one that came out ok the next I missed measured something and the grooves are hiding under the bearing which is no big deal as I can just make it wider there being no real pressure on them.

I also had some grooving inserts but they are way too narrow for this job. guess I could of ground up a HSS bit and stuck it in one of the HSS Boring bars I have.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Built a tool height gauge for the new lathe and 4 more holders for the tool post.

[Image: IMG_1107.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, is that "tool height gauge" now good for all three of your lathes ?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nop just this lathe, gives me a surface above and below the cutter off the apron as in the pic or the next joint down off the compound.
Got to get the Colchester cleaned up and listed for sale, if I had more room maybe I'd need 3 lathes.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: stevec
Can't do much one-handed, but managed to finally get the Kurt vise I was given rebuilt with a Kurt D675 kit and a pair of new Kurt hard jaws. I actually had my (younger) son Brian help me do the bulk of the work on his day off (Tuesday), so all I did today was to fit the jaws on it and get it lined up on the machine.

It checks out perfectly square on the machine, and that makes me happy. The jaws plus the rebuild kit (new thrust bearings, o-ring, snap ring, washer and grease fitting) cost me just under$100 with tax and shipping, so that's my cost for the vise. I didn't feel it was worth stripping and repainting because it's not a pristine condition vise and I intend to USE IT. Just the same, it's a lot better than when I brought it home.

Before:
[Image: DSC_0448-r_zps3968ef32.jpg]

After:
[Image: IMG_2236-r_zpsb797977a.jpg]
Thanks given by:
worked on this till I run up against the need for ball screws and stopped till they get here from china

Thanks given by:
Interesting David. What is it? Since it's sitting on the bed, I can only assume it's some sort of sexual fantasy device. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
cnc router and the beds about the only place I can get a decent photo of it, guess I could put it back in the floor, but that kills my knees.

I've ran up against the age old problem on not having parts on hand when I need them, which is a long winded way of saying I'm waiting on the ball screws to get here from China.

I have all the rest of the stuff, I THINK!!

DA

Thanks given by:
Great Dave! I've got some hardened shafts and linear ball bearings in inventory so I can now add another project to my never ending "to-do list". Bash
Thanks given by: