Todays Project - What did you do today?
Yesterday, I was working on a project when I broke the handle off my QCTP wrench. The shaft was only 5/16" and of unknown steel grade. Just some handles I had picked up several years ago.

I took a 3/8" grade 8 bolt and turned down the head, then knurled about 1 1/4" of the end to make it stick into a new aluminum handle. It took several tons on the hydraulic press to ram the bolt into the handle.

One of the nice things about pinch-type knurlers is that you don't have to have as much support as you would need with a bump knurler.

I redrilled and tapped the wrench head to take the 3/8" NC bolt and the wrench was back in business, stronger than ever.

Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
No one is posting so you'll have to look at more wood pictures.
This is like one of those storage sheds you get in a box from Walmart, only a little more assembly required.
After digging in the snow last winter to find metal and other things that had no where to live I decided we need Another shed. Try another timber frame structure, not practical to build but look nice when they're done and fun to build. This is red pine that was knocked down in a storm here almost two years ago. Free, got to like the price.
3 1/2 hours from leaving the yard to back drinking a coffee with the help of my son and a friend.

[Image: IMG_1150.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, we're not posting 'cause we're too busy following your amazing stream of accomplishments.
I mean I have to sit down and relax a while after reading your posts.
Keep up the good (NO! excellent) work. But, please, stop setting the bar so high.
All I did today was split and stack wood.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve, maybe you could drop over and split some for me, my backs been too sore since I blocked up part of my aunt's load, haven't touched mine yet, think the black flies need to be biting or it won't dry.
Have to keep busy, not getting any younger and the list keeps getting longer.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,
Wow - nice load of wood Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: f350ca
(05-11-2014, 08:41 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...It was an easy decision to turn the slug into mostly chips rather than try and cut it on the bandsaw any further...

You just wanted to unleash one of your face mills Big Grin Is that the F4033.UB.06.Z06.06 that you acquired a few months back?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-13-2014, 05:07 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(05-11-2014, 08:41 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...It was an easy decision to turn the slug into mostly chips rather than try and cut it on the bandsaw any further...

You just wanted to unleash one of your face mills Big Grin Is that the F4033.UB.063.Z06.06 that you acquired a few months back?

True. The density of the 6 inserts in a 2-1/2" cutter on a 2HP mill is wasted...unless cutting something like this. With a short-chipping material and easy cutting it went FAST.

Here's what I meant to post but got too tired. I added the radii, drilled and tapped that same day. Yesterday I slotted it as deep as I could go with the the saw setup I have, and used the band saw to get the full depth. I was surprised that it sprung open only 0.002", and when I put a Kantwist clamp on it, moved right back to 1.750" long.

[Image: IMG_2335-r_zps3407f1d5.jpg]

Slotting.

[Image: IMG_2339-r_zpsccd61320.jpg]

Done.

[Image: IMG_2343-r_zps43dde20a.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very nice
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: PixMan
Smiley-signs009 real nice!

Thanks Ken. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed,

My pleasure to be of help! I should be able to get the mating screw done before the coming weekend is over and have it in the mail to you.

That's my goal anyhow. One never knows what could come up, like yesterday when I found myself in court in Boston fighting for custody of my 8 year old grand niece. Long sordid tale best kept quiet, let's just say the kid needs love and a safe, secure home and my wife and I are prepared to stand up for her.
Thanks given by: