Todays Project - What did you do today?
(06-19-2014, 08:26 PM)PixMan Wrote: I wish that database was a simple MS-Excel spreadsheet because I don't have MS-Access on my PC as part of the MS-Office 2010 package I got with the computer.

Oh well. :(

You might try downloading Apache OpenOffice Follow the link and see if it will do what you need. "Calc" is for working with spreadsheets and "Base" is their database program. The entire office suite is compatible with MS stuff and the best part is that the entire office suite is free.

Hope that helps,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Kuddo's on the tool log.

Scary part is how to place a value on some items? I have some tools Dad bought in the 1930's...

I added a rider on my insurance policy, which made my wife notice "Really?" I just smiled and pointed out it's been forty years since I bought my first set of mic's. She knew about machine tools and airplanes before we got married (explained it keeps me out of bars at night.... ). $200 a month on tools is reasonable... :)

Another TIP:

Google Drive -- I would keep anything personal on the cloud, but often I'll remember I need some Dykem BLue, arbor, and one other thing.... open cell phone, update "Next ENCO order" part numbers, item, description listed.

So when I'm in the office and "20% discount and free shipping" pops up.... I can populate an order sheet post haste.
roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
(06-20-2014, 01:13 AM)ScrapMetal Wrote: You might try downloading Apache OpenOffice Follow the link and see if it will do what you need....
-Ron

I would go with Libre Office instead. Ever since Oracle bought Sun, OpenOffice has gone to hell. A bunch of the developers didn't like what Oracle was doing with OpenOffice so they quit developing OpenOffice and started developing Libre Office.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

One of the tasks on my ToDo list is to port Darren's tool database to Libre Office. Maybe it's time to move that up on the list. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Finished up the cross slide lock tonight. This weekend is allocated for getting the cross slide nut and lead screw mounted and my lathe back together.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Well that is sure pretty Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: EdK
(06-20-2014, 07:04 PM)EdK Wrote: Finished up the cross slide lock tonight. This weekend is allocated for getting the cross slide nut and lead screw mounted and my lathe back together.

Ed

I'm anxious to see it done Ed! Best of luck.
Thanks given by: EdK
(06-20-2014, 04:51 PM)EdK Wrote:
(06-20-2014, 01:13 AM)ScrapMetal Wrote: You might try downloading Apache OpenOffice Follow the link and see if it will do what you need....
-Ron

I would go with Libre Office instead. Ever since Oracle bought Sun, OpenOffice has gone to hell. A bunch of the developers didn't like what Oracle was doing with OpenOffice so they quit developing OpenOffice and started developing Libre Office.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

One of the tasks on my ToDo list is to port Darren's tool database to Libre Office. Maybe it's time to move that up on the list. Chin

Ed

Good call Ed, I forgot about Libre.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
roundrocktom, did you mean wouldn't (I would keep anything personal on the cloud) ?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Finished the sections that make up the island for this kitchen.
Next is a 1 1/2 inch thick maple butcher block top 10 feet long to cover it. The stock I have is 2 inch thick plain sawn, I'll resaw with the sawmill and reduce it to 1 inch then cut that into strips to expose the edge grain on the top

[Image: IMG_1236.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1237.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1235.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Beautiful as usual Greg!

Ed
Thanks given by: f350ca