Todays Project - What did you do today?
LOL nice one mate.

Rob
Thanks given by:
still messing around with this casting,

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
How much of that part (receiver?) has straight, parallel surfaces for clamping and machining? Looks like a tough one to hold onto!

BTW, relating to the casting of lead hammers, here's the lead ball I picked up out of the street. Lifting it today it seems closer to 8 pounds (US), or about 3.6kg.

[Image: IMG_20140928_132653100_zps1ewzbkcs.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 06:17 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...

BTW, relating to the casting of lead hammers, here's the lead ball I picked up out of the street. Lifting it today it seems closer to 8 pounds (US), or about 3.6kg.

Maybe if fell out of a plumbers truck. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2014, 06:39 PM)EdK Wrote:
(09-28-2014, 06:17 PM)PixMan Wrote: ...

Maybe if fell out of a plumbers truck. Chin

Ed

Possible, but why would it be in a ball shape? I've seen the antimony/tin solder blocks that plumbers around here use (lead illegal in plumbing for some time now), and it's always a small brick shape. This thing is heavily scarred and has a lot of sand & crap embedded in it's surface. If I were to melt it down I hope all that stuff floats to the top and can be skimmed off.
Thanks given by:
Stick it on eBay as a genuine civil war cannon ball. If asked if you have had a sample tested, say that you didn't want to damage the patina Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Ken the sides of the receiver are flat and most of the work on the actual casting is mostly with a file, except for threading for the barrel.

Melt the lead ball and throw in some bees wax it will flux the crap to the top. the real cheap wax bowl rings are bee's wax.

Darren, Cannon balls that size would of been made of cast iron to keep from deforming during handling.

DA

Thanks given by:
Would be about the right size for a down rigger weight. Was there a mark where the wire hanger was.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
you want to see a real mess, slice off some and throw it in a crucible of Silicon Bronze, they don't play well together at all.

DA

Thanks given by:
Dave - one should never let accuracy get in the way of profits Tongue
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: