Todays Project - What did you do today?
I'll go along with retiring as soon as possible. Beet you on the age, I haven't had a pay check since I was 46. I was a single parent, working a job that payed well but kept me away from the kids far too much, and the live in nanny was a royal pain. Like you the free cash isn't there but the shop helps support things and there's no better feeling than getting up and deciding what I want to do today.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(10-09-2014, 02:04 PM)awemawson Wrote: Just as soon as you can retire DO IT ! Life is for living. Having seen my father die at 59 and never enjoying any retirement I was determined to stop work just as soon as I could. I managed when I was 50 - I've just reached normal retirement age (65) and although the free cash is dramatically less than when I was working I keep very busy and enjoy life FAR more. We now run a few sheep, chicken, geese and pigs, have two dogs and a cat, never get away on holidays (unless we can find a farm sitter) and never want to ! We are living the good life AND I have a large fully equipped workshop, what ever else would you want !

I'm 55 now with 12 and 10 year old girls, I don't think I will be able to retire till I'm 72. That would put me at 50 years with the same company. I do enjoy life now, but boy would I like to retire now. If my company had not taken our defined benefits pension back in the 90's I would be able to retire this year. At least I get a good paycheck to help pay for all my toys in the shop.
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
I retired at 55 and haven't looked back for the last 13 years. Thumbsup

Smiley-eatdrink004  
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Finished up the rafters and got the roof sheeted. Steel maybe tomorrow.
The tractor is liking its new home.
[Image: IMG_1449.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
QC#1 returned for recycling. Too bad she couldn't handle the long hours alone during the week because she was a perfect match for me otherwise. It's for the best, she's going to another foster that has a dog so she will have some company.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Your tractor will be the envy of his friends Greg!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
As long as theres no wind its water tight.

[Image: IMG_1450.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,
Looks very good ..... Nice job  Thumbsup
Great photo by the way  Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
way the weather has been here the last couple of days you should of built an Ark.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thanks, some walls next. Dallen, the 7 day forecast has 6 days of rain here. Might need an ark.
Greg
Thanks given by: