Todays Project - What did you do today?
It certainly sounds like I need to make a few of these as A) I'm lazy and B) that is AWESOME!! I bet if I show my dad this he will want one too...Christmas presents? Thumbsup What was the cost and can you give us the link Willie?
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(08-24-2012, 09:59 PM)SnailPowered Wrote: It certainly sounds like I need to make a few of these as A) I'm lazy and B) that is AWESOME!! I bet if I show my dad this he will want one too...Christmas presents? Thumbsup What was the cost and can you give us the link Willie?

Here is a link to Nick's design: http://www.frfrogspad.com/imprvdcr.pdf

You may want to hold off a little while before deciding to put one together. I ran into an issue with mine and have been discussing it with him. Apparently I am the second person to bring it up and he is thinking about updating the design. I'm going to try changing a couple of components on mine to see if it makes a significant improvement.

I spent more than I should have for the Radio Shack components listed in the schematic. You can get them much cheaper at other electronic supply houses. Nick mentioned the possibility of upgrading the circuit and replacing the Radio Shack part numbers with Digi-Key or other readily available part numbers that are more economical.

We'll see how it pans out when I get the new parts installed, and I'll let you know.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Awesome thanks Willie!!

I tried to access the page but of course it's blocked. Is it a downloadable PDF? I'm not going to make one right away as I'm no where near an electronics store and mail takes forever to get here. What do you use for the electrolyte?

This reminds me of the electro-etching that gets talked about on WG. One member used a cell phone charger and some scrapes he had laying around. The hardest part it seems is getting something to use as a stencil. I plan on doing a How-To post on it here when I get home from this deployment.
Thanks given by:
I put it in the files section for you. http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...73#pid9673

The cleaning solutions are still available commercially (for now) so I am stocking up before they stop manufacturing that as well. There are separate formulas for lead and copper.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ah ok. I will send the thing to my dad. What was the issue that you ran into? My dad works at Raytheon Missile Systems and I'm sure he knows an Electrical Engineer or two so maybe he could help get this thing sorted. Are the solutions on MidwayUSA or Brownells? I will head over there and take a look. Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
There wouldn't be any problem with me sharing this on Weapons Guild is there? I think it is something that guys over there would really like. I also found that MidwayUSA sells up to 1gal bottles of the Lead Out and Brownell's sells 8oz and 1qt bottles of the Cop Out.

Also, what was the problem that you ran into? I believe with the schematic there you should be able to get the components from just about any place that sells electronic components. Thumbsup

I can't post in the place where the file is posted.
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2012, 02:26 PM)SnailPowered Wrote: I can't post in the place where the file is posted.
SP,
That is correct, it is maintained as a download section.
There is nothing to stop you (or anyone) starting a new thread and making a reference to any of the files (downloads) therein. SmileSmileSmile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Snail,

The only issue is I would like to increase the current output on the unit a bit. The trick is keeping the voltage at a set level, increasing the amperage, and having it balance with the overload circuit.

I'll find out if Nick's math was sound after I replace a couple of resistors. Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
trying to speed up the process then?
Thanks given by:
Only to get it closer to the Outers specifications. Exceeding that could possibly start to remove iron from the barrel steel. Don't want that. Sadno

The circuit works fine as drawn, but it takes longer than the factory unit to get a barrel clean. Just trying to step it up a notch, without going full-throttle. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: