Time to upgrade the Dremel tool.
Speaking of Dremel tools.... I just found my very first moto-tool purchase buried under the mess covering my workbench. Blush

It's a corded, variable speed Dremel model 380-6 (yes, it's OLD) that I used the snot out of, until the front bearing started squealing like a banshee. Apparently they all suffer this fate, usually sooner than later. It also appears to have gotten wet some time ago and has been slowly working on growing a beard of rust. Slaphead

I was getting ready to toss it in the bin and as usual I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Like so many other things, modern day offerings are made even more cheaply now. I believe the latest Dremels have a two-piece shaft now with a plastic tube connecting the motor shaft and the spindle shaft. It seems the tube connector is another failure point now in these tools. My old 380 model has a solid one piece shaft. With that in mind I thought it might be worth trying to "save" the old girl so I tore it apart.

I cleaned up all the bits and pieces, and removed the rust. Surprisingly the motor brushes still have plenty of life in them. And then I turned my attention to the bearings. Long story short... the bearings have no part number on them. Only "NHBB" with means New Hampshire Ball Bearing, who are apparently no longer in business. Measuring the bearings reveals that they are a non-standard size made as a proprietary part for Dremel alone. Dremel of course, no longer stocks them and wouldn't sell them to you anyway. They only sell armature "assemblies".

Thankfully, for anyone else interested -- Boca Bearings has them in the special 9/32" ID size. Part # R4-ZZ/.281

Two new bearings on the way. Results to follow. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by Highpower - 05-04-2014, 08:59 PM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by EdK - 05-05-2014, 05:32 AM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by Mayhem - 05-05-2014, 06:57 AM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by Highpower - 05-09-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by stevec - 05-09-2014, 06:37 PM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by EdK - 05-09-2014, 07:15 PM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by tackit - 05-29-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Time to upgrade the Dremel tool. - by Mayhem - 05-15-2014, 05:50 AM