The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Some Machining, Some Welding
I was working at the cheese plant with the swing economizers (long story), they had a bad hand hole plate. I've posted about this before on another site, that I had done them all, but I needed another 24 clips.

The hand hole plate covers the hand hole or inspection port on the side of the boiler, they are also used on other equipment and storage tanks.

I started with a stick of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 3/16" wall box tubing, cut them into 2" long pieces, milled a 3/4" slot, in the top for the clamping bolt, cut the back off, then milled the legs for a uniform height and finally a quick touch up on the Jancy RadiusMaster to remove any burrs.

the original clip was very light weight metal, and when the clamping bolt was tightened down ( to approx 75ft/lbs), they would distort, break or fall off. The original weld job was pitiful.

So some saw time, some mill time, more saw time, then more mill time and a little belt grinder time.

1 - the plate as I got it
2 - nice solid weld (??)
3 - cleaned up
4 - the replacement clip, what I had to make
5 - new clip welded back on
6 - the tubing, with and without the slot
7 - milling the slot with a 3/4" roughing end mill
8 - after the back, with the seam, is cut off, the legs are milled to an even height
9 - again the finished clips

Not a hard job or a fancy job, just somewhat time consuming, 4 hours, 24 clips @ $20/ea ($480)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Some Machining, Some Welding - by the penguin - 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
RE: Some Machining, Some Welding - by doubleboost - 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Some Machining, Some Welding - by sasquatch - 12-08-2012, 07:40 PM