The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch
As some know I have been messing around with old Elgin Pocket Watches. I recently purchased one off of Evil Bay which I plan to fix and carry around when I think about it.

The watch that I plan to do this to I posted a photo in my Razor thread the other day and Ed asked me to post what I do to the watch with I think he said and I quote "Please take copious amounts of pictures and post them, if you will please."

So since I received the watch today and the Chihuahua left me alone here are those photos.

First one is how the watch looked when I found it on Ebay.

Second photo is a little better shot with the front open.

Third is a close up of the dial out from under the crystal.

Fourth is of the back of the movement.

fifth photo is of the back of the case as I received it.

A better shot of the movement in the case.

here's a shot of what goes on under the dial

this is the start of the tear down to find out what is wrong with this piece of history, this watch was made in 1888. In this photo I have removed whats called the Barrel Bridge which holds the Main Spring Barrel in place.

This photo shows the under side of whats called the Cock (I didn't name the parts, its what its called) the two pins if you can see them have the Hair Spring hooked in between them and regulate the pressure on the spring to help adjust the timing of the watch.

Balance Wheel with Hair Spring on one side and Roller Jewel on the other.

The Escapement, all the wheels in the watch.

And finally what was wrong with the watch besides some rough handling and being throwed into to a dresser drawer for a lot of years, somehow, something got onto the pinion on the wheel that runs the second hand any way all the red stuff isn't suppose to be there.

I have the watch put back together with a different dial that isn't cracked up and missing part of the enamel and it is running but still needs some work like swapping out the rusted pinion for one that isn't trashed. But all in all I feel pretty good about the watch. case is cleaning up pretty nicely. will get some more shots of it after a little bit more clean up and post them later this week.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by dallen - 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM