Steve's dental service for Delrin gears
(05-14-2013, 11:28 AM)stevec Wrote: As promised, here's some pics of my `dental work`
Here`s where you normally need anesthetic, I was taking mine orally.

Here`s the implant.

Mounted on a mandrel I turned off the excess.

The spin index set-up might be too flimsy for a metal gear but for plastic it`ll do.
I used the tailstock from my rotab to control movement outward during machining because I had set-up the spin index in the vice and I couldn`t advance the crank to keep the spindle from moving. (there`s always a way....sometimes)

Let`s make sure I`ve got the spacing procedure right for 6° rotation for a 60 tooth gear.

Here we go, new teeth appearing.

Finished dental "Bridge".

There'll prolly be a bit of a thump as the new teeth pass the mating gear compared to the old worn teeth but it should wear-in fairly quickly and at least I'll know where the thump, thump is coming from.
Nice job Steve, I do love repairing otherwise broken stuff,gives you a smug feeling when it's fixed & you didn't have to shell out for a new one[if available] I've repaired a few grandfather clock gears like that but just soldered pieces in & filed to shape.
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by: stevec

Messages In This Thread
RE: Steve's dental service for Delrin gears - by the artfull-codger - 05-21-2013, 01:11 PM