How to Locate the Center of a Hole With an Edge Finder
(05-17-2019, 01:21 PM)ltlvt Wrote:
(05-17-2019, 08:58 AM)TomG Wrote: A method of finding the center distance between the two gears would be to mesh them on the bench and actually measure the distance directly, allowing a few extra thousandths for clearance. You could even make a test plate to mount the shafts, to verify the hole spacing before boring the hole in the apron.

The good news is that if you screw up the first attempt, it can be fixed by using a larger bushing.

TomG that is an excellent method. I will surely give that a try. Experience like yours and many others on this forum is what makes it a great place for a guy like me to learn. BTW I have watched most of your You Tube videos and learned a lot from you. I especially like the one where you made the wooden examples for sharpening tool bits for the lathe. That is the sign of a real mentor. Thanks for all you contribute to our machining communities. I managed our toolroom in our GM plant for many years but just recently got committed to my own little hobby shop with my very own PM 833-T bench mill. My main interest is resurrecting old machine tools like my 5913 Clausing and my Model 100 Clausing lathes. I have other resurrection projects but the 5913 is at the front of the list.  

Terry from Texas  Smiley-dancenana

Thanks Terry, it's always good to hear when the videos (and advice) are appreciated. 

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: ltlvt

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to Locate the Center of a Hole With an Edge Finder - by TomG - 05-17-2019, 07:06 PM