I started to melt some Cast Iron today
As for knurling big diameters on small machines, the old Ward No3 turret lathe was actually quite a small machine, while I never measured it I'd be surprised if it could turn 9" over the cross slide despite it being almost the same over all dimensions as my Big Colchester Mascot, I've seen knurled handwheels made in a number 3 Ward they would have been 5" in diameter, the tool used was a super sized scissor type mounted in the turret, I would guess such a doo-hickey would work in any lathe as long as you can turn it slowly enough, scissor type knurling tools don't put much pressure on the lathe so why not knock up a quick temporary scissor knurling tool and give it a go, I can sketch the tool I saw being used, frankly it was the common box style scissor knurling head just with the arms a little longer and on a biggish back plate, the main difference was that the clamping arms were pointing up in the air rather than sideways I suppose it was easier to get the required clearance on a spinning turret.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: I started to melt some Cast Iron today - by Rickabilly - 08-31-2013, 09:45 PM