Idea Foundry machine squeeze jolt
Point taken, a sheet metal fan!

First things first , I'm impressed.

Ive got the Trumph

The fly presses of course, with a load of dies for producing contours rather than killing my back with mallets and shot bags, I use the small fly press with stretching and shrinking dies and the ubiquitous vee block press brake tools some of the dies are visible under the bench.

I'm part way through building my new C frame with English wheel, louvre tool, Air planishing hammer, etc.

My big folder, it'll fold (not press) 6 feet of 5mm plate, or as thin as you want of course

and my big Morgan Guillotine it was originally a 6 foot, 1/4 machine but was down graded to 1/8th to increase cycle speed, before I bought it, I'd rather strength than speed. it's got all the back gauges and stuff but I rarely use them, I rebuilt it from a very rough state and added all the shiny sheet metal, it's a bit flashy but nice to use

and a load of little bits and pieces, rotary swages, hand shears and punches, etc.

I had every intention of building a Yoder style hammer but when I looked at what I could do and how quickly I could do it using the fly presses I was hooked, for example ten (quiet) strikes with the right dies and I can make a dished piece of 3mm steel sheet about the size and shape as a half a basket ball, all of a sudden three hours fiddling about with shrinking dies seemed a bit of a waste of time,(i have a video out on the net somewhere, can't think of where right now though) so I made about six or eight different convex forming punches, a universal die and some good radius specific dies and there wasn't much that I couldn't do so the Yoder never happened, I'm not saying it won't but it hasn't yet.    

Regards
Rick

PS we might need a sheetmetal section on here now.
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by oldgoaly - 08-31-2013, 09:22 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by Rickabilly - 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by oldgoaly - 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by Rickabilly - 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by oldgoaly - 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by Rickabilly - 09-01-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by oldgoaly - 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
RE: Foundry machine squeeze jolt - by Rickabilly - 09-01-2013, 07:16 PM