a day in the back yard
(10-03-2013, 06:32 PM)chucketn Wrote: I have searchd for commertial castable refractory, but refuse to pay $60 and up per bag and then $120 per bag shipping. I can drive to Asheville, NC in an hour and 30 min, pick up a couple of bags of good fireclay, have a very good meal and drive back home for less than half that.
It's all well and good to advise someone to go with commertial products, and if this wasn't a hobby persuit, and I had bottomless pockets I probably would. But then I'd probably have other hobbies like wild women, Elk hunting or Bonefishing, and not have time for foundry activities.
Chuck

I didn't say to not go with a homemade recipe, I just find it easier to use ready mix refractory, as far as the bottomless pockets go my check only goes so far and there are a lot of things that have to be bought before I buy things like refractory or a new crucible which I need for iron. just have to tighten up the purse strings on that one.

really to get started you can make an aluminum melting furnace out of a lot of things adn grow into the hobby that way. If I was you I would go as cheap as I could till I knew that I was going to like the hobby.

one thing you may want to check out is a ceramic kiln you can usually find one pretty cheap and sometimes people give them away, they will operate pretty cheap and will have no problems melting aluminum.

plus an added bonus of being able to use it as a heat treat oven.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-02-2013, 10:30 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by LJP - 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-03-2013, 08:38 AM
RE: a day in the back yard - by chucketn - 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by chucketn - 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM
RE: a day in the back yard - by dallen - 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM