The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Wells Bandsaw
A project that I didn't expect so quickly came along, although I knew it would have to be dealt with at some time. I paid short money for a small Wells bandsaw, that had lived a tough life. Several of the castings had old weld repairs, including the motor housing. It was however working when I bought it. When used for small bar stock there was no problem, but the first time I put in 4" x 4" x 1/2" thick angle iron in it, it quickly overheated. Smoking overheated!
Closer inspection showed the armature was visably wobbleing. Time for a new motor. Not so simple as just bolt a new one on. This motor pivots off a large 1.375" dia. stud to tension the drive belt. The bracket is cast as part of the motor housing. Fun.
Letting the bandsaw cool between cuts, it made it through a 3" dia. junk yard piece of steel. Set up in the 4 jaw, I drilled a 7/8" hole, 5.5" deep with the largest MT bit I had (that was long enough). I then bored that hole to 1.375" dia.
Now I have never bored anything with a boring bar before, so it was new territory for me. The only instruction I have had is on YouTube. I used a homemade 5/8" dia. boring bar, with a hand ground HSS tool bit. It worked quite well. My tool shape is perhaps not exactly what I should have used, maybe too "pointy", but I am sure someone will tell me how it should have been shaped (please do).

I have 2 old motors, 1 is a 2HP, 3 ph, and 1 is 1/2 HP single phase. both 1750 rpm. I am guessing I need the 2 hp???
I have other motors, but they are all 3450 rpm. I am guessing I want the slower 1750 rpm???
I am guessing because the old motor has no nameplate, but is 3 ph.
Opinions please.

Some pictures, and more to come as I progress on the project!
Thanks, Larry

LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Wells Bandsaw - by LJP - 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM
RE: Wells Bandsaw - by EdK - 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: Wells Bandsaw - by oldgoaly - 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: Wells Bandsaw - by PixMan - 10-08-2013, 11:42 PM
RE: Wells Bandsaw - by LJP - 10-09-2013, 04:02 AM
RE: Wells Bandsaw - by Mayhem - 10-09-2013, 06:28 AM
RE: Wells Bandsaw - by LJP - 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM