The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Anyone here capable of gear cutting?
Hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone here (in the US) has the machinery and cutter needed to cut a metric gear (or 3) for me.

I have a 1974 (or so) Victor 1640 lathe, made in Taiwan which I got used as a gift. It didn't come with any of the change gears needed for cutting metric threads. The primary one is a 70 tooth gear, 126mm O.D., 20mm I.D., 11.6 mm thick with a 6mm keyway.

While I have a great many tools in my shop I don't have a dividing head and I'm not inclined to build nor buy one at this time. I would be willing to buy a cutter if needed, and I will be making the blank and cutting the keyway in the next few days.

For now I'm able to cut metric threads because I borrowed one of these gears from a local guy who has the exact same lathe, but I do have to return his gear. From looking at the threading chart on the machine, this gear will enable me to cut several different pitches, including the M20x1,5 and M25x1,5 that I have to do. I will need to also make an M14x1.25, and for that I need a 35T gear made. Other pitches require a 30T gear as well. I believe these would be 14.5º teeth.

For that one I don't yet have the dimensions, though the guy who loaned me the 70T gear should have one to measure. Other gears I should have are a 28T and a 54T, though I'd only need those to do a 27TPI thread. With no taper attachment and plenty of pipe thread dies I doubt I'll ever need those.

It's not often that I need to cut metric threads, but having the gears would increase the value of my machine and I want as much capability with it as I can get.

Anyone able to help? I know very little about gears as I haven't made any since trade school in 1973-1977.

Thanks!

Ken
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Anyone here capable of gear cutting? - by PixMan - 12-19-2013, 12:27 AM
RE: Anyone here capable of gear cutting? - by EdK - 12-19-2013, 07:34 AM
RE: Anyone here capable of gear cutting? - by EdK - 12-19-2013, 01:20 PM