The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Looking for input/help on the Pro Tram System from Edge Technologies
While working on a project it came to my attention that my mill was in need of being trammed. I pulled out a new toy that I got a couple of weeks ago (didn't need it but wanted to try it) just for such an occasion. This new toy is the Edge Technologies "Pro Tram system", specifically, model 09-000 with indicator graduation of 0.0005" - http://www.edgetechnologyproducts.com/pr...stem1.html

So far I'm not happy with it but maybe I'm expecting too much.

I installed it on the mill using a 1/2" R8 collet. Since I already have a Kurt vise and my rotary table mounted I also decided to go ahead and use an EZ-Tram - http://www.eztram.com/product_results2.asp?ID=1 along with it. I've used the EZ-Tram before with an Indicol/DTI and have had good results but it was somewhat awkward and time consuming. I was hoping to see if the Pro Tram System was as accurate and less hassle.

I calibrated the Pro Tram using a small magnet/"standard" that comes with it and according the directions provided. Basically you place the magnet on the table, or in this case the EZ-Tram, and set one indicator to "zero" by moving the face to match the needle. You then turn the spindle until the second indicator is on the magnet and then set it's face to "zero" as well.

I trammed the mill on the Y-axis (but didn't double check it, this becomes important later) and then proceeded to do the X-axis. Upon getting the X-axis "set" it occurred to me to finally "double check" the results by turning the Pro Tram 180° to see if the readings on the two indicators were still "zeroed". What I found was that they were significantly (to me anyway) off. After going over my setup and not a small amount of cursing I went back and tried to calibrate the indicators again and taking more care in doing so.

When I tried to re-calibrate the first indicator, double and triple checking as I went, I found that the indicator itself would not repeat to zero. I would set the face then lift the indicator off of the magnet, set it back down on the magnet, and the indicator would no longer read zero. The readings were almost always different and varied by as much as 0.0015". As the indicators are roughly six inches apart (I didn't bother to measure) this means that the combined error of the two indicators could be off by as much as 0.003" over six inches.

Now, tell me guys, am I being too critical and that's actually okay? Am I doing something wrong? What the heck?

If I can't resolve this, tomorrow I'll go back to using the Indicol/DTI as my current project has to be done "yesterday".

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Looking for input/help on the Pro Tram System from Edge Technologies - by ScrapMetal - 12-20-2013, 09:33 PM