Looking for input/help on the Pro Tram System from Edge Technologies
(12-21-2013, 03:17 AM)DaveH Wrote: Well guys, I'm not sure I totally agree. If I 'zeroed' it then lifted and lowered the plunger I would expect it to read zero and certainly within +/- .00025"
of zero, maybe 1/2 a division max if each division was .001".
I see on the web site they say repeatability is .0002" - you are not even close to that Ron.
I would (if you can) certainly phone them.
Just my 2 cents
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

I agree with you. What I was getting for "repeatability" was unacceptable. I did futz around with it before getting back to work today and what I found (or at least I think I found) was that using the included magnet was causing some of those repeatability problems. Cheap indicator, strong magnet, bad combination apparently.

(12-21-2013, 04:16 AM)awemawson Wrote: Do you have sufficient 'pre-load' on the indicator plunger? Have you scrupulously wiped clean the magnet top and the indicator ball? Is the magnet sitting on a perfectly clean wiped surface? Are there stray microscopic particles on the magnet?

I have a Pro-Tram and my indicators repeat well within spec. when all the above are taken into account.

Andrew

Yep, took all that in to account a number of times. That's where most of the swearing was produced. Blush Once I tried it without the magnet by using the same spot on the EZ-Tram I got much better results.

(12-21-2013, 08:06 AM)stevec Wrote: Ron, I'm just curious as to how you lift the indicator off of the magnet,
you wrote "I would set the face then lift the indicator off of the magnet, set it back down on the magnet, and the indicator would no longer read zero."
was it by pulling up the top of the indicator spindle between your fingers? or by raising the spindle of the mill?

Another curiosity, if one is supposed to rotate the device 180° to read the amount of "tram" why isn't one indicator face 180° to the other.

As usual, my descriptions leave a bit to be desired. Your first supposition was correct. I did lift the indicator by pulling on the top of the indicator spindle.

As I mentioned before, it would seem that the magnet was part of the problem with the repeatability. Even after that I was still having some issues the source of which may take a bit of time to determine. As I am pressed for time I finished "tramming" the mill with a combination of "kind of using" the Pro Tram and just "by the seat of my pants" basically. It's not where I want it but it is close enough to finish up my current project. Once I have it completed I'll take the time to figure out just what is going on. Problem with the collet, spindle, Pro Tram, or just the user. Big Grin

While purchasing the Pro Tram did save some time, at this point I think I would be ahead if I had just purchased two high quality indicators and made the thing myself. I will most likely be looking to replace the indicators in the Pro Tram if I survive the holidays. Sweat Big Grin At least it would give me a little more peace of mind.

Thanks guys,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for input/help on the Pro Tram System from Edge Technologies - by ScrapMetal - 12-22-2013, 02:13 AM