Newly introduced Grizzly mill/drill G0759.
Well it’s been almost a year since I took delivery of my G0759. I’ve come to really like this mill. 

The fit and finish is quite good. I really like the way the glass scales are mounted and protected. 
The only thing I think is badly designed is the X axis gib lock screws. 
If you don’t pay attention to which way adjustment handle is pointing you can bend the locking screws. 

The DRO is very accurate. It reads to a resolution of .0002” and is very repeatable. 
In some materials, maybe most, I think the .0002” resolution would get overwhelmed by vibration. 
For what I do .0002” is a tolerance I don’t need to hit anyway so I’m not very concerned. 
Set up was very easy, the cables clearly labeled and intelligently secured at the factory. 
It was pretty much plug and play. 
The stand is adequate but did require a bit of shimming but that wasn’t unexpected. 
The instruction manual was more of an addendum to the G0704 manual which is reasonable since the 
G0709 IS a G0704 but with factory installed DRO. 

Just for grins I partially surfaced a horizontal face ( I tried this with both Aluminum and steel), 
then raised and reset the tool with the DRO to the same Z height and did the rest of the surface. 
I could not feel or detect a difference between the 2 sides with a DTI or my finger. 

Some time a ago I made this http://swarfrat.com/MillSpindleCenteringScope.htm which if made correctly, and mine is, is very accurate.
I’ve used my height gauge to establish an exact center line through a piece. 
Then used my Mitutoyo edge finder plus the 1/2 function of the DRO to set center line. According to my Spindle centering scope they are in agreement as close as I can measure. I’ve tested this with both the X and Y axis. 

For those who might be familiar with older versions of the G0704 that this unit is based on, there is no need for the 3 bolt mod as described here,
http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/gen...g-machine/
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newly introduced Grizzly mill/drill G0759. - by marfaguy - 05-18-2015, 07:59 PM