The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

What is my best choice for this job
Ok so my Grizzly mill has arrived and I have at last got it on the workbench. That was one big job too. I got a harbor freight shop crane and it was strong enough to lift it onto the bench but it was just about 4 inches too long on the legs and they hit the wall behind the workbench, stopped me cold. I had to put a come along on the mill and attach to the wall to get it all the way onto the bench. Setting it up is another story.

Anyway I am now working on the first cut. I have a piece of steel of unknown type that is about 2"x3"x8" and it has a rough gouged edge where it was cut with a torch. There are sort of bubbles and deep ridges in this surface. I would like to mill it off so the piece is smooth on that side. A 3" 4 tooth facing cutter came with the mill and I gave it a try with that but it sure does throw off some hot chips even on very slow feed, almost on the stop setting. I was wondering if maybe a fly cutter would be better for this sort of thing. Or maybe I am cutting too deep. I was making a cut about fifty thousandths but it seems to bog the mill down and the chips come off yellow hot.
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
What is my best choice for this job - by hswaters - 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM