The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe
First of all, I’m not very experienced at machining, so I’m looking for really basic guidance to purchase some tooling for my Vectrax 14x40 lathe.

I was thinking about 5/8” tool holders as those will more-or-less line up the carbides with the center of the turning. Though maybe not exactly. I know, I know, I really should get one of those fancy dovetail tool posts but I’m running out of cash!

So, here are my questions:

1. Is there much difference in rigidity or quality of cut from stepping down from a ¾” tool holders to 5/8” due to vibration or flexing?

2. I’m told that CCMT or CCGT bits are the ones of choice for hobbyists like me. Given that, is there any difference in cut quality or should I have any different expectations than the mediocre results that I’m getting from my “TT” triangular cutters?

3. IF there is no difference in cut between a CCMT and a TT, does it make more sense to keep using the TT because of better economy? (you get three cutting surfaces instead of two)

4. What do you suggest for a carbide insert cutoff tool?

5. Can anybody point me to a simple chart that shows approximate turning speeds, feed rates, and cut depth for different materials?
Thanks!
Bob
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by candiamel - 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
RE: basic lathe tooling questions for new lathe - by candiamel - 04-06-2012, 08:47 PM