The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

A beginner tip for turning gummy steel
Today I was turning a small shaft to act as a pivot for two bearings. I got the size roughed out but the finish wasn't very good at all. The material looked like hot rolled, mild steelbar and was tearing all over the place. I made sure I had a sharp and honed tool on center line, I tried a few different angles on the tool but only got a slight improvement. As I only needed room for two bearing to be pressed onto the shaft I marked out the two locations by plunging in with a parting tool. The plan being to reduce the shaft in these places so the bearing easily fit and then go back and bring the two high points down to a press fit with a file and emery cloth. After making the plunge cuts I went back to my original turning tool to cut down the unnecessary material. What do ya know, out of the blue I am getting the best finish I have ever got on this steel? I was in my lowest speed ( forgot to change the speed back from the boring bar operation) and the tool was working beautifully. I will see I can post a few photos tomorrow. 

I might be the only one who seems to equate speed with a nice surface finish but that's obviously not the case. 

Hope that might give someone a helping hand one day. 

Shawn
Shawn, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Nov 2013.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
A beginner tip for turning gummy steel - by Shawn - 09-27-2014, 12:49 AM