Harig Super 612 Wet Grinder, Walker Ceramax Magnet, Teflon Ways
Both come with a good mag chuck and are manual machines. In addition the Harig has a dust collector. As part of the deal I'm going to buy a Weldon end mill sharpener and a fixture for resharpening the ends of end mills.

The Harig is a direct drive and the Powermatic is a belt drive.

I've never run a Powermatic surface grinder, but my Logan lathe was built by Powermatic and am quite satisfied with its performance. I understand they also make excellent wood working equipment. The first surface grinder I ever ran was a Brown & Sharpe Micro Master. It spoiled me as it had hydraulic feeds, and overhead dresser and one could split tenths (.0001") with it. Not bad for being on board a ship.

A major plus is that the Harig is still made & supported here in the US, so parts (the ones I cannot make which should be minimal) are available from Harig or on FleaBay.

I'm going to take a stethoscope with me to listen to both spindles and can run test cuts on both machines. I do have a couple of parallels that need touched up from drill bit damage.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Harig Super 612 Wet Grinder, Walker Ceramax Magnet, Teflon Ways - by Dr Stan - 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM