The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thoughts on an old AR upper reciever
I posted this same question on another forum, but thought I'd get some input from this group as well:

So I am idly contemplating building myself an AR rifle of some sort. Kicking around my place I have an old AR upper that was given to me somewhere along the way. I've had it for years. It's the type with the integral carry handle and no forward assist. No markings that I can recall.

If I build another AR, I'd prefer to have the flat top style with a rail or whatever rather than the top handle (I have one of those already) upper. Would it be crazy to cut off the handle and mill a flat surface to affix a rail for mounting optics?

I know uppers are not so costly that this makes huge economic sense. It's just a project, so cost effectiveness is not really the point.

Other than the fact that I could probably buy a new one for what my time might be worth, is there any other compelling reason not to do such a thing? Is there a technical reason? Are those old uppers so wonderful that this would make me an awful person?

Thoughts??
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on an old AR upper reciever - by alanganes - 12-19-2014, 11:37 PM