The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Non magnetic knife...
So this is sort of a thought experiment as much as something I actually plan to make, but just wondering what the think-tank might come up with here:

Talking with a friend the other day the subject of non-magnetic knives came up. This would be for a pocket/work type knife preferably a folder. A quick search on the web turned up surprisingly few options. There are some specialty fixed blade knives made for scuba divers (does not screw up your compass) and people who clear landmines (does not get you blown up) both of which are very expensive and not folders.

The most workable option seemed to be this one by Boker Plus:

http://amzn.com/B004NS9PVK

and another similar offering by the same company:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XA3CZE/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

They both use a ceramic blade and either titanium or carbon fiber handles. Both seem to get mostly OK reviews, so I ordered one of the titanium body ones.

While this solves the magnetic part, I have mixed feelings about the ceramic blade due to the susceptibility to chipping under general "working on stuff" type usage. I do know enough not to use my knives for prying things or doing other such dumb stuff but I also don't baby them. They get dropped, the edges occasionally get dulled when cutting tie-wraps or whatever against a hard surface, etc. Not a huge deal with a standard blade as I just touch up the edge and it's good to go. Not so sure that will be the case for the ceramic blade.

Having never used a ceramic blade I may be worrying about nothing here, time will tell. But it got me thinking, is there a good non-magnetic metal that one could make a decent blade out of for this sort of usage?

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Al
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Non magnetic knife... - by alanganes - 01-03-2015, 04:45 PM
RE: Non magnetic knife... - by EdK - 01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
RE: Non magnetic knife... - by alanganes - 01-04-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: Non magnetic knife... - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 10:30 AM
RE: Non magnetic knife... - by alanganes - 01-15-2015, 10:46 PM