The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Using a chuck table
I use this setup primarily for gear blanks in order to get the faces parallel and to bring the blank to proper thickness.

The first step is to face one side, then drill & bore to size. Then we install the chuck table: lightly snug it in the jaws and use the drawbolt to snug it tight. Then we loosen the jaws and mount the gear blank.

The blank is lightly snugged by the jaws and a bolt to tightly snug it to the chuck table, the jaws tightened and the bolt removed. You'll have the blank held by the tips of the jaws; don't overtighten, you'll spring or break something. Light cuts only!

With both sides faced, it was ready for mounting on an arbor to do the OD. Once that was done, it went back in the chuck table for the recess in one of the faces. Finally, back on the arbor to finish the features on the OD of this bevel gear blank.

The last shot is of the blank mounted on yet another arbor on the mill. I'd been at this for 4 hours when the dinner bell rang. Hopefully I'll get this finished today and see how it meshes with its twin... It's the parallel tooth form; once down the middle and then two offsets for a total of three passes.

But that's another story... Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM