Using a chuck table
I have to think about all the steps for a while. I'm not clear on why to use a method like that because I'd probably just chuck a big chunk of material in my 3-jaw, machine as many surfaces completely as possible, cutoff and flip around. Hold it in bored soft jaws to finish other surfaces, and throw it on the surface grinder if I needed anything more accurately parallel. Or, just hold the cut off, half finished piece in my 4-jaw chuck and indicate the back side true to get parallel and concentric.

I've got a lot to learn (or re-learn) about gear making. I don't know anything about "parallel tooth form". I thought you got the cutter as the form you needed and made a single pass.

One question for you about your lathe work:

I notice in the bottom photo of the gear blank mounted on the arbor that you have a quick change tool post. In the first shot of the part set up in the lathe with the boring bar, it's in a rocker post with a ton of shims under it. Why wouldn't you use the QCTP and either a No.7 boring bar holder with a reducing sleeve, or a regular No.1 or No.2 holder with clamp screws on the flats of the bar?
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM