Using a chuck table
Soft jaws would probably be better, but I don't like removing the jaws. This table is quick - you have but one bolt to deal with and no need to dial anything in. The drawback is the size - anything smaller than the chuck table won't work. It's also hard on the jaws.

Parallel depth tooth form. The teeth are radial, they fan out in a vee shape. Store bought gears have tapered teeth for full contact. Twice as strong but they need to be planed on a gear shaper. These can be milled.

To tell them apart at a glance: the tops of the teeth are straight for tapered teeth. That's not a typo- parallel teeth have wedge shaped tops. It's counter-intuitive. To cut tapered teeth on a mill requires filing & fitting. Parallel teeth are ready to go without filing. I'm sensing a repair in the wind and wanted to see how much trouble I can get in. Smile

As to the lathe work, I have two of them. One is left with the jaws set for OD work. I just never bought a QC toolpost for it, but I do have a couple holders and in a pinch I borrow the QC from the other machine (different center heights). But with just two operations going it wasn't worth the effort.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 10:52 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by PixMan - 01-04-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Using a chuck table - by Sunset Machine - 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM