Indexable carbide insert boring bars
(04-13-2015, 07:18 PM)PixMan Wrote: I've leaned how to become a certified Master of eBay Deals!

Willie, what size cutter would you like and how much HP does your mill have? I would be happy to help you find a bargain on something good.

That you have Ken... that you have!  
Every time I find what looks like a good deal on inserts, it's for a type/size of tool that I don't have.  Bash

I think I would like to have a 2" cutter. The mill is only 1-1/2HP but I don't do any heavy cutting anyway. I just want to give a face mill a try for a change. My mill knocks too much if I start pushing a fly cutter past a certain point. I'm hoping a multi-insert cutter would help there.

I started out with all the cheap import cutting tools in the beginning like a lot of folks do. I came to the conclusion that HSS tool blanks made in India must be made from recycled 'Land-O-Lakes' margarine sticks. Then I got my hands on a few good tools and that really opened my eyes. But I still have to live within my ever shrinking budget. So I would rather pass on the Shars, Travers, etc., type stuff these days and save a little longer for something decent. And I don't have to have a direct mount, an arbor is fine with me and preferable actually because of the reason you sited above. But.... I want something with commonly available inserts and not have to jump through all kinds of hoops to track some of them down.

It's a case of want - rather than need, as usual.
Willie
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Indexable carbide insert boring bars - by PixMan - 04-12-2015, 09:30 PM
RE: Indexable carbide insert boring bars - by EdK - 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM
RE: Indexable carbide insert boring bars - by EdK - 04-13-2015, 05:11 PM
RE: Indexable carbide insert boring bars - by Highpower - 04-13-2015, 09:50 PM