Parting Inserts
Hi Pixman
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my beginners Q. I have just upgraded my Sieg SC4 8.5x16 lathe to a Sieg Runmaster 13x40 and while I can still use some of the tooling from my little lathe I am taking the opportunity to also upgrade my tooling. On the SC4 I was limited to 10mm and 12mm tool holders, SCLR with CCMT inserts mostly, and GTN 2 & 3 blade type parting tools. Hence my request for info on the types of inserts.

I have started a search for alternative "modern" parting blades with "positive stops". Now I am even more confused. Are you referring to screw down parting holders like MGEHR with MGMN300 inserts or am I completely looking in the wrong direction? There are so many options out there many of which appear to be proprierty designs that I am not sure where to turn. Any suggestions please.

Also my new lathe has a BXA QCTP which with standard toolholders takes up to 16mm tools, and even 20mm with Dorian Tool holders.
I am unsure whether larger (than 12mm) is better or are their disadvantages of larger shanked tools for smaller work?

Ron
ronboult, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Parting Inserts - by ronboult - 05-31-2015, 05:41 AM
RE: Parting Inserts - by PixMan - 05-31-2015, 07:15 AM
RE: Parting Inserts - by ronboult - 06-01-2015, 03:27 AM