What material to use for geared shaft
(06-11-2015, 08:51 AM)dallen Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 02:14 AM)Pete O Wrote:  The casing of the worm gearbox is also cracked, presumably from someone trying to force movement in the Y axis after the shaft seized, so i will have to either weld it or make a new one (who do I know who has an iron casting furnace...)

If your not able to do it yourself (Casting Iron is a whole new level of learning) I would try to get ahold of a guy on yourtube by the handle of

https://youtu.be/WERgTZvfnbw

He's in Oz not sure where, but if it was me I would try to contact him thru one of his videos and see if he would do it.  I could but the shipping would be a killer I'm sure.

If the cracks aren't too bad it would be welded, or brazed. do you have a photo of the cracked area?

Dallen my comment about the furnace was sort of tongue-in-cheek, as I'm in the process of building one that will hopefully be capable of meting iron. I hear you about the level of learning though, I have never cast anything whatsoever. If I manage to get the worm gearbox out this afternoon, I'll be able to better assess the amount of damage to the casing as well as whether I can get the seized shaft out of the worm gear without destroying the gear.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
What material to use for geared shaft - by Pete O - 06-10-2015, 07:41 AM
RE: What material to use for geared shaft - by Pete O - 06-11-2015, 06:48 PM