The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Slitting saw problem
Hey there gang...

I had a repeating job in the shop yesterday. I belong to the South End Rowing Club in San Francisco, and I am one of the volunteers who maintain our antique wooden boat fleet. The job which came up was to make "nut plates" out of SAE 954 Aluminum-Bronze. The parts are 5.75" long, .5" wide, .25" thick and have 5 tapped holes, and 3 countersunk mounting holes. Very straight forward. These are for a 6-person "Barge" (quite similar to a Cornish racing gig), with 3 required for every position, plus a couple of spares, for 21 pieces total.

Late last year, I did the same job with slightly different dimensions for 3 different boats.

The mill finish on 954 is very ripple-y and is oversized by roughly .08" so it can be cut down to it's nominal size. The smallest stick I could find is 1" x .375", so there's a LOT of roughing.

As a nerdy aside, while the blanks were cutting off in the bandsaw, I used my Rhodes shaper to square up one side. This worked out great!

Last time, I used a slitting saw quite successfully to split the piece lengthwise, if memory serves... taking the .375" DOC in a single pass.

This time, it wasn't working well at all. I set the RPM to 300, which was a somewhat slower than last time. I was using a modest feed - it's a manual mill, no power feed. I'd estimate about 2" per minute. The first cut was wildly crooked: it sloped up by almost .1" over 5" ! When I went back to try to trim it flush with a second pass, the slitting saw blade snapped.

On the second piece, I found another, similar saw, got the height of the cut set right, and tried to take roughly half the depth ~.18" in one pass. The first pass went OK, but the second pass showed some crookedness as a slope up toward the end of the cut, much like the first one, then promptly snapped when it touched the third workpiece.

Down to my last saw, I fell back and punted: taking 5 passes, using heavy sulfured cutting oil.

I'm at a loss as to why the first two blades broke - I've rarely had any trouble with slitting saws. They always seem to work great, and will take lots of feed. Any thoughts? The arbor is a nice made-in-USA quality piece.

Thanks!
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Slitting saw problem - by Roadracer_Al - 06-28-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by DaveH - 06-28-2015, 04:52 PM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by PixMan - 06-28-2015, 07:11 PM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by TomG - 06-28-2015, 08:42 PM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by Mayhem - 06-29-2015, 06:06 AM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by Roadracer_Al - 06-30-2015, 12:07 AM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by PixMan - 06-30-2015, 06:15 AM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by DaveH - 06-30-2015, 07:18 AM
RE: Slitting saw problem - by Roadracer_Al - 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM