Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild
Yes Edk, that is how it supposed to be, but if I put it there, it won't even be on the corresponding apron gear. I think my apron is different than yours. My leadscrew has 2 holes in it like they tried to put it there, but it didn't work so they drilled another hole. There is also a threaded setscrew hole for a shaft, drilled too close to the edge of the casting in the threading gearbox, like someone made a mistake, then they drilled another hole correctly. Maybe this a early run lathe where they didn't have the production down pat. I don't know. Furthermore, the apron can be moved around on it's two 8mm mounting bolts around .100" before tightening; not too confidence inspiring. But that's the way it worked before so I hope it will be okay. It seems like a lot of weight to be hanging from those bolts.
    I want the gear to be backed up by the shoulder of the shaft, that's why I changed your drawing to work. I placed the gear so it would mesh roughly in the center with it's mate and the apron roughly centered on it's bolts. I then removed it and measured between the gear and the existing shoulder and there was a gap of .700". Luckily, the leadscrew gear teeth are much wider than the apron gear, so the alignment doesn't have to be dead on.   After I get the parts, I can machine a spacer to take up the slack between the thrust washer and crank wheel housing.This should be around .100".
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cantek 1440, Birmingham, Wilton CT 1440, and others Rebuild - by turbo711 - 07-12-2015, 09:26 PM