The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

One thing leads to another...
I was getting close to actually using my new (old) mill now that my phase converter is working, thought I'd better change the oil so I bought a drum of suitable oil. There's a little hand pump under the table with a system of tubes to lubricate the bowels of the machine. So I filled the reservoir and disconnected the feed line to get some oil through the pump...nothing. Took the table off the machine to access the pump.

Pulled the pump apart and it was not only full of crusty gunk but also the piston cups (bit like a brake cylinder) appear to have shrunk and just slop around in the bore, also there's a little ball valve on the inlet side and the spring behind the ball has disintegrated. I picked up some square-section 'o'rings, was going to make a new piston for the pump but then I got called in to work 2 extra shifts so that's on hold til next week.
Got up after a couple of hours sleep this morning and decided to clean out the rest of the oil feed system; took off all the tubes and the manifold and cleaned them through with compressed air the pushed nice clean oil through them with a syringe.

I noticed that the drain system that channels coolant down to the well in the base of the machine lookad a bit gunked up, so i pulled the header part sits behind the table off. 'A bit gunked up' turned out to be very optimistic; it was completely choked the whole way through the passageways, which led to the swivel base under the table coming off.

Cleaned this all out before I ran out of oomph and came in for pizza. My normal working week starts tomorrow so this will have to wait for next days off. I think the next step will be to remove the knee, then I may as well strip it all and give it a fresh coat of paint......

The first oil feed pipe that comes from the pump to the manifold has been kinked and squashed, I spent about 2 hours yesterday afternoon before going to work, driving around trying to source some 5/32 aluminium tubing and olives. Don't want to put it back together as is, even though I can still blow air through it.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
One thing leads to another... - by Pete O - 07-31-2015, 04:33 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by John S. - 07-31-2015, 06:54 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by Pete O - 08-01-2015, 05:12 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by Mayhem - 08-01-2015, 06:43 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by Pete O - 08-21-2015, 03:03 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by EdK - 08-21-2015, 07:34 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by dallen - 08-21-2015, 08:16 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by Pete O - 08-22-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by EdK - 08-22-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: One thing leads to another... - by dallen - 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM