The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

New cross feed nut, gib adjustment
Did some maint on my lathe over the weekend adjusted the clutch for carriage feed/ cross feed . Also installed a new cross feed nut .

Had to do some cleaning up cross slide mating surfaces , and a bad spot on gib side surface. Well without going crazy taking off too much material i got er working smoothly with the new cross feed nut however bc of excess wear (i am guessing on the front side ) where the cross slide has been past 50 years. I was able to get cross slide to run nice and smooth without gib tight/ cross feed nut off.
However with gib properly adjusted she was not able to smoothly pass the centerline . Imo without stressing the new cross feed nut. She moves smoothly but is tight on the screw in that area . Any tips and tricks for repairing better without scraping all surfaces?

Gib Question ?
Ohh as far as Gib I did end up taking off material off to get her smooth. I used bluing and an oil stone. However i am at my last of last of gib adjustment now because i did remove all of the scaring . So now soon i may need a need to get a correct adjustment . For now needed to shim about .004 on the front side of the Gib for correct adjustment .

Any ideas anything i can do altogether for the crosslide other than shimming ?

thanks in advance
Kenny V
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
New cross feed nut, gib adjustment - by Kennyv - 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
RE: New cross feed nut, gib adjustment - by Vinny - 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM