The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (FreeBSD)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Fitted DRO to Lathe, showed up movement
Hi Folks,

After 20 odd years of manual ownership of my Colchester Master, I finally had a DRO fitted...

I liked the anticipated accuracy I thought I would get, but found that the cross slide moved even with the dial locked.

In the past I have added a lock screw to both the cross slide, and top slide, hoping that would eliminate any feedscrew movement.

However even with the cross feedscrew locked, I have 0.002" movement of the toolpost/topslide, indicated by the DRO.

On my machine there is a taper turning attachment, so I thought it was accumulated movement of the guides, there are three, the main base slideway, the top taper slideway and the trunnion in that top slide, with the cross slide feedscrew bearing.

Having tightened all these to minimal movement, and taken up any backlash from the cross slide feedscrew nut, I still have 0.002" travel indicated by the DRO.

I'm now proposing to concoct a cross slide clamp arrangement.

Easier said than done as there are several points to consider.

The only suitable place on the apron is in front of the cross slide in a 'T' slot used by the travelling steady.

That puts it near to rotating parts (Chuck and work in chuck).

My idea is leaning towards an 'L' shaped arm connected to a clamping teenut.

With a LH thread to allow it to come round to the operator side of the cross slide, keeping it clear of the chuck and any carriage stop arrangement.

This is something I'll have to get on with so will post some pics of the progress. Bash
Chris Wright

North Lincolnshire.UK

Colchester Master 6 1/2"(13"), Elliott Rapidmil, Clarkson MkI+
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Fitted DRO to Lathe, showed up movement - by rotorhead - 02-27-2016, 08:31 AM